Which model bipod for hunting?

Sod Farmer

I think I want to buy an Atlas bipod for Elk hunting. With that being said, I could be convinced to buy another brand. I already own a couple of Harris bipods so I don't need another Harris. When I look at the Atlas models, I see a lot of good reviews for the Cal Gen2 models. The PSR models are also popular, but I see ALOT of used ones for sale. I understand the differences between the Cal and PSR models, but when it comes to hunting, which model do you prefer and why?

I already own a couple of Harris bipods so I don't need another Harris.

If you already own a couple of Harris's then you already own one of the best 'hunting' bipods on the market.

Do you want another bipod just to be 'tacticool' ??

Imo save your money, the Harris has stood the test of time & will do what you need on a hunting rig!

If you already own a couple of Harris's then you already own one of the best 'hunting' bipods on the market.

Do you want another bipod just to be 'tacticool' ??

Imo save your money, the Harris has stood the test of time & will do what you need on a hunting rig!

There are some things I don't like about my Harris bipods. They are a great bipod, and I won't be bashing them. Where I hunt, there isn't anyone watching me to see if I am being "tacticool".

There are some things I don't like about my Harris bipods. They are a great bipod, and I won't be bashing them. Where I hunt, there isn't anyone watching me to see if I am being "tacticool".

Don't worry about the peanut gallery - go buy one. The Atlas can be used in ways the Harris can't. The Harris is somewhat limited outside of the prone position where the Atlas is a little more versatile.

I have an Atlas and use it for that purpose.mdont know the model, buy it has the quick release from the rail and pivots and cants. I got the short model, but a have extensions when needed.

I have an Atlas and use it for that purpose.mdont know the model, buy it has the quick release from the rail and pivots and cants. I got the short model, but a have extensions when needed.

If you had a chance to make your purchase again, would you buy the short or tall version?

rfurman -
I'm trying to decide if I do or don't want the "pan" feature of the PSR model. Do you find the absence of the "pan" feature to be something you wish you had? I have heard that the "pan" feature can cause some horizontal variations on point of impact.

I have a Harris. But just today (have yet to install it) I got a Caldwell 9"-13" pivot model. I like the idea of the pivot for setting up on uneven ground. Leveling up with the Harris can be a real pain.

rfurman -
I'm trying to decide if I do or don't want the "pan" feature of the PSR model. Do you find the absence of the "pan" feature to be something you wish you had? I have heard that the "pan" feature can cause some horizontal variations on point of impact.
I have a pan version. I absolutely hate the pan. The bipod itself is ok but panning is WORTHLESS for long range shooting. If the bipod legs are not perpendicular to the bore you WILL get horizontal in your shots. So in my shot sequence it requires one extra step to ensure my bullet hits my poa. How much does it effect it? Hard to say 100% due to other conditions such as wind but I can see a difference.

I have a pan version. I absolutely hate the pan. The bipod itself is ok but panning is WORTHLESS for long range shooting. If the bipod legs are not perpendicular to the bore you WILL get horizontal in your shots. So in my shot sequence it requires one extra step to ensure my bullet hits my poa. How much does it effect it? Hard to say 100% due to other conditions such as wind but I can see a difference.

This is what I was suspecting to be the case, but I did not know! I really appreciate the info. Thank you very much!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.