Which Leupold scope? Advice Please!

NorthernSniper

Well I finaly got my Sako Finnlite 300 WSM and now I need to choose a scope. I'm looking at the Leupold B+C 4.5 X 14 40mm or 4.5 X 14 50mm but do I really need to go 50mm ? Do I need anything more than the B+C 3.5 X 10 for 500-550yd shots? What about the adjustable objective? I noticed the Leupold B+C 4.5 X 14 comes with or without the adjustable objective, should I go adjustable objective? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help guys!

I like the 4.5-14 LR w/the B&C. It will let you shoot minute of deer @ 500 yds. It's probably the simplest way to get out to 500 yds.

One thing you might not have considered is the low end of magnification. Either 3.5x or 4.5x is low enough magnification for the close (under 50 yds) shot that you might need to make. 6.5x, however, is too much (as in 6.5-20x). I found this out the hard way. I would go with the 4.5-14 because that higher top end is nice for accuracy testing. As far as the AO and 40mm vs 50mm, I'll leave that to some of the guys who have more LR experience than me.

I own 6 leupold scopes, 3.5-10x40, 4.5-14x40AO, 6.5-20x50LR,M4 8.5-25x50, M4 16x, M4 10x. I have used the 4.5-14 on everything from coyotes at 30 yards to pdogs at over 700, It is the most versatile scope I own. Mine is the older version, get the new one with the side focus. Unless your shooting in the early morning or late evening 40 mm will be preferable to keep a rock solid cheek weld.
Excellent choice on the rifle, Happy hunting!

My suggestion:
http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/Mark_4_4_5-14x40mm_PR_LR.htm

CHeck out the 4.5-14 56mm VX-L series in the B&C reticle or the Varmint hunters reticle.

The VX-L is the new scope series that allow you to seat the scope down a lot lower. CHeck out Leups web site, they have some info on it. These scopes wont be in stock here at least until early summer

I like the Varmint reticle, a little busier but the cross hairs are finer which I like

good luck
steve

thats the scope 4.5x14x40mm B&C i plan on puttimg on my LSS 300 RUM i have the same question about the A.O. thanks Jim

You do NOT want a 4.5-14 with out AO. I own multiple luppys and I baught the 4.5-14 w/out AO for a light weight pack rifle. I just sold it cause in low light I could not get half the clarity I could out of my tactical with AO. Also, I worked for nosler, and nosler and leupold are closely joined. We had a guy in our proshop who now works for leupold. The truth on the objectives is the large objectives are only a help when you start to go over 15-16 power in low light. They only put them on the lower magnification for "americans, bigger is better attitude". Hope I was a help.

RUMS RULE

i do not agree with the prior posts. i have a 4.5-14x40 LR varmint reticle scope on my 270wsm. i do not like it with the side focus, the reticle is to hard to see some times!

my dad on the other hand has the same exact scope as me but in B&C. his is easy to see and focus at all distances at any power. when i shot my deer this past year at 250 yards. he was laying down and i put my scope on him and turned the power up to 14 and could not get a clear picture. i did not adjust the focus as i did not have time but turned it down to 12 and was ready to go

i would look at the ones with out the side focus

The only prob with turning the power down to clear up your image is that the B&C and VH reticles are only accurate at specfic power. At 250yds this wouldnt matter but at extended range you would disable the reticle by changing the power.

In my opinion at parallax adjustment is necessary for extended range shooting and the side focus is handier than the AO.

take it easy
steve

For an all around scope that will be used close and far, you will be wise to get an AO. For all the reasons already stated above. I have the MK4 LR/T, 4.5-14x50, 30mm tube, with side focus. It is a **** clear scope and I can adjust it down to about 25-30 yards to infinity. What can be more versatile than that??

This is over my head. I'm choosing a scope, too, for a 300 RUM, and I wonder, what's the difference between an AO, and "Side Focus Paralax Adjustment???????"

WoW! I am working out of town right now and just had a chance to get on a computer to check out this thread I didn't expect to get this much excellent input! Looks like I'm going 4.5 X 14 AO B&C. Was a little concerned about the performance of this scope during close encounters of the scary kind, my 78 year old uncle ended up having to shoot a charging Grizzly at 35yds last fall and this is always a possibility where I hunt. Thanks to everybody this answered all my questions and was a big help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.