Which Hunting Knife

I carry a Cold Steel Master Hunter fixed Blade and man it sure keeps an edge.
I helped an elderly gentleman(more elderly than me)with a Muley Buck 3 years ago and it made short work of gutting.
I took a muley,gutted it and got it home and skinned it and let the deer hang for a few days.During tht time my neighbor borrowed my knife and cleaned his and that knife could still shave!
Sounds like "the" knife to me! I personally carry a camillus double lock back folder no. 716 or the d.b.l. 707 which is smaller they are available on ebay

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
Check out Cold Steel knives...you get what you pay for. Just sayin'. Good luck.

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
I am a fan of Siembida Custom knives. This is what I have in my kill kit, a custom Meadowlark in Magnacut and G10 Scales, at 2.5 OZ it is the only way to go for a backpack hunter.

Attachments

• SCK Meadowlark 1.jpg
    SCK Meadowlark 1.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 70
  • SCK Meadowlark 2.jpg
    SCK Meadowlark 2.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 68
  • SCK Meadowlark 3.jpg
    SCK Meadowlark 3.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 68
If you're looking for lightweight probably a havolon. If you're looking for for something sturdy, dependable with beautiful craftsmanship go with a custom made knife that you'll be proud to pass on with the memories. These are a couple of knives I made for my son-in-law and son. It's a hobby I enjoy when I'm in the mood. I don't do it for a living

Attachments

• 210815_035018_19.jpeg
    210815_035018_19.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Resized_20190911_084343.jpeg
    Resized_20190911_084343.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Resized_20190731_165348.jpeg
    Resized_20190731_165348.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 60
I'm not a knife expert by any means, but I have found that my go to is an old buck I've had for almost 50 years. Still gets the job done and keeps an edge until I'm done with that deer. I now carry a Bushcraft on my belt and the Buck in my pack.
I'm not a knife expert by any means either but I like and carry Buck knives. For EDC and hunting. They make many different models, most made in the U.S. but their imports are made to Buck specs and are also very good knives. All with lifetime guarantees.
Their 110 folder is a really good knife but pretty big. They make a 112 folder that is the 110's baby brother. I like mine a lot!
They are both clip point blade knives. I like drop point blades and the 112 can be special ordered with the drop point blade from their website. About the same price point as their standard clip point 112. I have one of each and the drop point is my favorite carry knife.
They also make several fixed blades, about the only difference being blade length. I have a couple of those and their 4 inch blade skinner model 113 comes with me on every big game hunt. They do make a skinner folding blade too with, I think, a 3 & 1/2 inch blade.
Great knives, worth checking out. Some people don't like their 420 steel blades, but most can be ordered with harder steel if so desired/with a slight up-cost.

If you're looking for lightweight probably a havolon. If you're looking for for something sturdy, dependable with beautiful craftsmanship go with a custom made knife that you'll be proud to pass on with the memories. These are a couple of knives I made for my son-in-law and son. It's a hobby I enjoy when I'm in the mood. I don't do it for a living

Attachments

• Resized_20190911_084343.jpeg
    Resized_20190911_084343.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Resized_20200424_132212.jpeg
    Resized_20200424_132212.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 27
  • Resized_20191114_165259.jpeg
    Resized_20191114_165259.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Resized_20190731_165348.jpeg
    Resized_20190731_165348.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 26
Should check out Bark river knives really well made different steels available depending out what you're wanting it for and a bunch of different styles

I have numerous knives, many way more expensive than I care to reflect on....they just looked/felt good in the store/show. Attracted to them as guns....never met one I shouldn't have. Personally can't grasp the fetish with huge, expensive knives for real hunting/field work. Rambo, I ain't tryin' to be....just take care of business at hand.....it's a tool. For real post-kill work, I only use the fixed Buck 602 (as I recall, maybe obsolete now) same as the 102 but with rubberized handle. 4" blade, fits my hand comfortably.....critical attribute.....rubber provides great slip-proof grip, handles easily, takes edge/stays sharp/touches up easily, easy carry on belt/pack...insignificant cost if lost....haven't yet....great warranty......haven't needed........not flashy/theft attraction. Have and like the blade of the 103 Skinner, but always return to the 602. Love/have/use the famous folding Buck 110 Hunter, but folders get full of tallow, guts and are a bitch to clean. Standard Buck black handles (Micarta. Phenolic??) are slick as the proverbial snot when wet with blood....can't hang onto them, makes getting cut probable. Mentioned that to Buck family members at shows. They looked at me like I was a Heretic. Surely they have used their product in the field in blood at some time in the last 110+ years. Never have need for anything larger in North America. It's a knife for cutting/severing, not hacking, chopping firewood. Carry a small camp hatchet, of several styles, or axe for any larger hacking needs. Oh, yeah, do carry in pack a small non-descript folding saw for bone work.

Last edited:
You know I looked really hard at the Altitude, and almost pulled the pin, but since I already had the Saddle Mountain in that steel went with the Steep Country, just to have a more easily sharpened field knife. The Altitude is smaller and more compact though. Glad to see a positive review of it.
You know the biggest concern I had about it was how it would feel in the hand and how it would actually handle since it does look uncomfortable. However after using it on a few animals it's really dang near perfect for me. I actually like the way it fits in my hand and handles in general. Mine has stayed sharp over probably 3 different animals, sharp enough anyway, definitely needed touched up.

Vote Havalon for you can do a whole elk with one of their thicker blades gutless method including the neck. However save the neck for last. We have done several. Do carry a std knife for survival needs also.

I have not heard anyone mention cutco knives. Stays sharp through at least 3 elk. You do have to send them in to sharpen for free. That is why it is nice to have 2 of them. Been using them around ten years

I mostly use Randall, Ruana, and old Puma. New Pumas are junk. If you want a Ruana, better get one now, as I think the kids don't want the business. Ruana is a steal of a deal.

I can't imagine using a Randall #1 though (and I have one) way too big.

I had not heard of the "gutless" method and had to look it up. I guess it would probably work well with an animal that has to be butchered to pack it out but for someone like me that is pulling a couple of whitetails, and hopefully, a hog out each year I want the carcass intact so that I can drag it out. My normal drag is usually at least one mile and can be on either virgin forest or rutted logging trails.

This info is simply the lead in to my choice of blades.

I have carried a Cva double sided Hunting Bowie Knife that I made from a kit for at least 30 years. It is heavy enough to use to fell a one inch trunk and trim the branches quickly if I need a handle for a drag, want to chop thru the pelvis, or need to improvise a pole for stability in stream crossing, etc. The blade is heavy, but extremely sharp and holds the edge even when chopping. It can be used for close work if necessary and the finger guard keeps me safe. I have a large hand and it fits me comfortably.

There have also been a few times when it has been a comfort to have in heavy cover, or at night.

In my emergency kit, which never leaves my belt, I have a small folding hunting blade that I use if I need to do fine work inside the carcass.

I would never carry a blade that might break during heavy use. That would probably exclude any "replaceable" blade.

I am curious about the "gutless" method because, in my experience as a bow and rifle hunter who hunts from the ground, I have only once or twice had a kill that did not breach the body cavity in some manner and require cleanup, especially with a bow. I cannot see myself ever leaving a deer with guts intact and pulling that added weight out.