Which Bullet ?

edge

I have posted in the past on my project muzzleloader, now I would like some feedback on two specific bullets which work in my rifle.

The first is the Hornady 155 grain 0.308 A-Max with a listed B.C. of 0.435 and a SD of 0.226
I can shoot this with a sabot @ 3000 fps

The second bullet is the 200 grain 8mm SMK with a listed B.C. of 0.520 and a SD of 0.313
I can shoot this bullet @ 2700 fps

My intended targets are paper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, varmints, and whitetail deer of medium size.

Velocities are somewhat conservative and the 8mm may reach 3k also and the 155 grain A-Max will most likely not make a great increase.

I have not heard much on the A-Max on deer at these velocities, but they are advertised to be capable of the job.

The SMK has had advocates and detractors, but with a .313 SD even if it is a varmint bullet it should kill almost any whitetail, IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My problem with either is the fact that a shot at 50 yards is just as likely as one at 400.

I have not mentioned the Accubond or the Interbond on purpose, and in the future, should the two first choice bullets be written off then may be in the running, but at this time they are not on the table for accuracy and price considerations.

All replies welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edge.

Sounds like you basically have a 30-06. I would say the 155 would work for what you have stated, and the 8mm bullet will work too. I would go with the 30 cal just because it is probably cheaper; however, mass does payoff sometimes at longer range. Do they both shoot the same accuracy wise?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.