Which bullet for 338 Win in Alaska

300 Driver

I am planning a moose hunt next fall and being the OCD type, I'm trying to figure out the best load to use. The cartridge is going to be the 338 WinMag. I have some CE D62 225gr bullets and some 225 Accubonds on hand. I was also thinking about loading the 300 ABs at 2400fps(Nosler manual) to have in the magazine for bear and then single load the long range pills.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience on these or any other high BC bullet in the 338Win? I know LongTimeLongRanger likes the CE, bullets but the post I found was 4 years old. Looking for updated thoughts on this.

Thanks for the help!

I would probably load 250 grain Nos Partitions (not really a long range bullet, but certainly a great big game bullet).

the 225 grain AB would certainly take care of business though. :D

I like the 225 Accubond, but it expands, and holds the large frontal area so well, at times doesn't penetrate all that well up close.

Certainly useable on the lighter game, but having seen a couple of small whitetail does stop one, It would not encourage me up close on bears. Backing it up with the 300 Accubonds, as you suggest is workable. The 275 Swift A-frame another good choice.

300 Driver, IMHO, it's hard to beat a Barnes ( TSX, or TTSX). While not an Alaskan moose, my wife has taken many elk and one Wyo. Shiras Moose with a 225 Barnes. A 225 TTSX runs about a .514 BC, which works well for longer shots. I think that they would be worth considering. memtb

The same old time tested bullets still win out...Nosler Partitions or Barnes X-bullets...may not be bench rest but for hunting you can't beat either !!

(I've never been to Alaska, so my opinion is worth about what you paid for it.)
I think the A-Frame - the heavier the better - would be a good bullet for the big critters up there. Same could be said for the Partition. I want to work up a load of 220 gr A-Frames for my 8mm Rem Mag for an "Alaskan load" just in case I get the opportunity. :)

Have a few 250 Partition/A Frame/TSX loaded in the magazine, with a couple 225 Accubond or 210 TTSX (depending on your philosophy) ready to load for a long range shot. Have scope zeroed for the long range option and know how far you can shoot the heavier bullets within a couple of inches of that path.

Or just call it good with a 250 grain Accubond.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.