Which brand of unfired brass comes from the factory with the longest neck length?

AKFLshooter

Ok guys I've been searching for quite a while and can't find my answer, so I need some help! I want to get my necks out closer to the lip of my chamber for several rifles (deep factory chamber on two of them). Recommended trim lengths are not adequate and I need longer necks on my cases. Does anyone know which brand of brass has the longest neck length? Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Well, that's a question I haven't seen before. You don't mention a cartridge but .45/70 has a really long neck. :D

Reason you don't find what you seek is because cases are made to SAAMI specifications and I don't think you're going to find any meaningful or consistant average difference in any brand's case necks for any cartridge.

Can't help wondering what difference you believe a few thou of extra neck length would make anyway.

I agree with boomtube and will add that the COAL has more to do with accuracy than the length of the neck. I always trim my cases to SAAMI case length rather than to recommended "trim to" length, but my S-I-L always trims his to the recommended trim length in the published manuals and his loads are every bit as accurate as mine with all things being equal. What I have found with a generous length chamber is not being able to get close to the lands ( I like to put cup and core style bullets to about .010" off the lands) and still keep them short enough to fit the magazine. I usually have to play with different powders/loads until something works when I encounter this situation.

"my S-I-L always trims his to the recommended trim length in the published manuals"

A lot of people happily do that and it works fine. It may be interesting to know that at the time I started reloading in '65 no one even suggested a "trim to" lenght but it was common practice to limit trimming to about 10 thou less than SAAMI max case length. There's nothing scientific or magic about that number, it was simply a reasonable trim measurement even tho we knew chambers could usually accept 20-30 thou longer. Most of us just used cheep aluminum "snap gages" to insure we weren't too long and many of us used a hand held fine cut mill file as a 'trimmer'. Then inexpensive precision calipers and case trimmers came on the market and suddenly all the new guys were antsy unless someone told them exactly what to do, so manual makers started publishing 'trim to' lengths but you may note it's still the same old '10 thou less than max' rule of thumb we used wayback.

The same sort of thing happened to OAL measurements. Few old data sources even mentioned OAL, it was something we knew had to be worked out individually based on the individual bullets and chambers (and still does really). A few sources gave the standard SAAMI max lengths but that was based on the length of magazines and feeding mechanisms, it had nothing to do with best for accuracy or safety! Then, since Chinese calipers at rational prices were suddenly available, a few of the load book makers gave the OAL that was used in their testing but knowing it only applied to that firearm. Suddenly it was presumed we had a supposed "reccommended" OAL and virtually every data source was expected to provide it. It wasn't much of a step from that to folks thinking the book OAL was the "right" OAL and differing could lead to injury or death. Not true by any means, neither I nor any other old hand even bothers to look at a book OAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts