Which big 338 bullet to use

snox801

Over a year ago I ordered a 338AM turn key rifle from Kirby. Still trying to figure out the details for the final product. So I'm on to bullets. I was set on either 300gr bergers or smk. As those seem to be what Kirby likes. Then I started looking at Cutting Edge again. I kinda dismissed them cause I dont like to give up the bullet weight for the really long stuff. Then I noticed they have a 300gr. 338 pill. Anyone tried these and how do they compare. They are super long so should have a great real world BC and still be 300gr. What's everyone thoughts. Im sure all will work great just looking at options. Thanks

That 300 grain CE takes an 8.5 twist to stabilize, so if you run an 8.5 twist you may over rpm the smk and berger to the point they blow up , if you run a 10 twist you won't stabilize the CE bullet. In my opinion the small increae in bc of the CE vs the berger isn't worth limiting yourself to just that one bullet by going with such a fast twist.

I'm building a snipe tac and I'm gonna go 10 twist due to wider bullet selection plus a 10 twist will get you a little extra speed vs and 8.5 tiwat due to less friction .

What bullet did Kirby cut your chamber for?
Whatever that bullet is, is what I would use in it.

Cheers.
gun)

He has yet to cut it. So all option are open. He thinks I may not need a 1/8.5 because of the velocity it has. Im gonna leave it up to Kirby on final choice. I basically gave him all freedom to do whatever will get me the best performance for the whole build. Not sure if it was financially wise cause things can get pricy quick. But done want to regret any part. Pay once cry once.

I have a 9.3 twist in a 338 RUM and though it doesn't have anywhere near the speed of the AM, the 300 gr berger is a hammer. Most of my shots do not pass through though, but they inflict massive wound channels and expand to over 1.5 inch.

My 338 Edge is cut to seat the 300gr Accubond level with the case neck/shoulder junction, less the boat tail, it just so happens that the Berger is also close to this. The 300gr SMK is also similar, so you need to make a compromise on your choice of which bullet you want to use the most.

Cheers.
gun)

That 300 grain CE takes an 8.5 twist to stabilize, so if you run an 8.5 twist you may over rpm the smk and berger to the point they blow up , if you run a 10 twist you won't stabilize the CE bullet. In my opinion the small increae in bc of the CE vs the berger isn't worth limiting yourself to just that one bullet by going with such a fast twist.

Asking a legit question here:
Have you ever seen a 300 grain SMK come apart due to RPMs being too high? Both the 300 SMK and Bergers call for a 10" twist or faster. I don't have much experience with the Berger but load the MatchKings in two .338 Edges and would think you would be hard pressed to make one come apart.
Maybe the fast twist combined with certain rifling types and the much faster velocity?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.