New to .338 edge, Which bottom metal to use?

MH90

I have been wanting to build a .338 edge, but I don't know what bottom metal to use. Does it need to be a the bigger bottom metal with .338 lapua mags or do you use a standard M5 bottom metal with mags for like a .300 win mag?

MH90,

You will need to use the longer Lapua mags and bottom metal in order to accommodate the 3.600" length of the Edge cartridge. The cartridge guides will need adjusting to accommodate the smaller diameter of the Edge compared to the Lapua. You can also elect to use CIP length mags and bottom metal in order to gain 0.150" OAL approximately.

Regards.

If you can find a 3.9" seekins dbm I think you would be very happy. However, they are like finding a needle in a haystack right now.

On my Rem 700, I'm running a 3.850" Wyatts box, my COAL is running 3.720"- 3.850", depending on bullet I'm using. The biggest Wyatts box is what you want. It is not a modified Lapua box, it has the same width as for all belted mags and feeds perfect as is.

Cheers.
gun)

Last edited:
On my Rem 700, I'm running a 3.850" Wyatts box, my COAL is running 3.720"- 3.850", depending on bullet I'm using. The biggest Wyatts box is what you want. It is not a modified Lapua box, it has the same width as for all belted mags and feeds perfect as is.

Cheers.
gun)

This is what I use in my rifles.

The original post was a request for DBM...

I have been wanting to build a .338 edge, but I don't know what bottom metal to use. Does it need to be a the bigger bottom metal with .338 lapua mags or do you use a standard M5 bottom metal with mags for like a .300 win mag?

...not internal magazine boxes as suggested. These Wyatt boxes require that the action and bolt stop be modified by machining as opposed to the simple installation of the bottom metal and using the proper length mags.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.