Which barrel contour?

el matador

I have a Rem 700 with the laminated wood stock, 270 wsm, shoots under an inch with the right loads but I would like to rebarrel it. The factory barrel is very picky with ammo. So the question I have for you guys is which contour would you choose for this gun? It has the standard "magnum" contour which I believe is a #4 in most people's book. I'm packing in around 2-3 miles on average and hunting some steep country but the weight of the gun at present doesn't bother me. I believe a #5 contour would add about 1/2 lb.

I generally pack in a couple of miles myself, and do a good bit of walking each day. I tend to lean more towards a heavy barrel for backpacking than a lot of folks might. I just don't care to shoot those light rifles much. And I don't mind a little extra weight, within reason.
I think a #5 contour is a good compromise. Of course, the length of your barrel will make a lot of difference in weight, and whether or not it is fluted.

I went with a Pac Nor #3 fluted barrel on my 270 win build. The 270 is a small enough bore it still seems pretty stiff. I haven't got to start long range testing yet, hopefully this weekend, but it is shooting ragged holes at 100yds with 140gr accubonds. I really like the barrel although it may be a little rough inside, it seems to foul pretty quick.

I have a Rem 700 with the laminated wood stock, 270 wsm, shoots under an inch with the right loads but I would like to rebarrel it. The factory barrel is very picky with ammo. So the question I have for you guys is which contour would you choose for this gun? It has the standard "magnum" contour which I believe is a #4 in most people's book. I'm packing in around 2-3 miles on average and hunting some steep country but the weight of the gun at present doesn't bother me. I believe a #5 contour would add about 1/2 lb.

Ask if your barrel maker of choice if they will do a custom contour. If yes: Straight taper the barrel 4-5 inches at 1.25, begin taper where 1-2" after straight shank ends, reduce to .800" then straight taper to muzzle ending at .650-.675" and flute it. barrel length 26".

If no custom contour, then do a #4.5 contour, just slightly larger than your factory barrel, and flute it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.