Tripods. Which one?

I have a different idea for goat hunting. Goat hunting is not typically spotting scope intensive, I use binos a lot, but you are not picking apart the cover trying to just spot them, they stand out pretty well. Hunting goats has usually been sans tripod anymore after I realized I used the tripod maybe 1 out of ten trips. When we use the spotter (angled, not straight ocular) it is just as easy to get it set on a pack to gauge horns and use binos for the rest. Pretty easy way to save 5-10% of your pack weight leaving it out. My .02 after over 100 goat hunts and a dozen+ goats.

Last edited:
I just purchased this exact tripod, love the tripod but not a fan of the ball head it came with. Did you switch yours out to something different?

I'm currently using it with a Promaster 3746 fluid head that I picked it up on clearance at Cameraland.

Last edited:
I bought a medium Outdoorsmans and their pan head several years ago and never looked back. I had no idea how good my compact spotting scope was until then. Now I mostly use a set of Zeiss Victory FL 10x50 binoculars to spot with. I've counted points on deer at nearly a mile with this set-up.

Plenty of good ones as mentioned. Primos looks efficient. I got a BogPod and it gets the job done. I think I'm going to getwood sticks(Safari style). Less gadgetry/more purist. Hence- simple set up and reliability. Make sure you practice from the sticks before you go out hunting.Boddington says tripods should only be used 150-200 yards at most.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.