Which AR10 for my own barrels?

Mram10us

I'm ignorant to ARs. Are there any ARs that I can make my own barrels rather than buying them?

more details?

you can buy a barrel extension at brownells : https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-.../ar-308-7-62-barrel-extension-prod132816.aspx

then youll need the extension install tool : https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod72374.aspx

and a barrel vise-- you have to torque the extension to the barrel with about 175 ft lbs and also make sure the head space is correct-- then you have to drill the gas port in the barrel to line up with the barrel extension pin

I'd just buy one

here is a youtube vid on an ar15 :

if you have lots of machinists tools you can broach your own extensions too :confused::

the extension is part of the head spacing
headspace.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering if I could cut the end off a trash barrel and make one of those barrel extensions

Only way to make a barrel extension that I know of is if you own a broach to cut the lug recesses-- plus you need to make sure it is the proper material and harden it to the proper Rockwell hardness after you broach cut the lugs. The extension is probably the hardest part to make. I know guys that do their own blanks, but every one of them that I know buys their extensions.

Only way to make a barrel extension that I know of is if you own a broach to cut the lug recesses-- plus you need to make sure it is the proper material and harden it to the proper Rockwell hardness after you broach cut the lugs. The extension is probably the hardest part to make. I know guys that do their own blanks, but every one of them that I know buys their extensions.
Why not cut the barrel extension off an old barrel then drill and tap like the ones you can buy?

Why not cut the barrel extension off an old barrel then drill and tap like the ones you can buy?

That requires a supply of old barrels. And gets you used extensions of unknown wear/life left etc. $35 buys you a brand new nickel boron coated barrel extension. Also you can just pull the pin and unscrew it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.