Which AR for Predators and Home Defense?

When the SHTF, where you going to get 6.5 or 6.8? I shoot AR competition out to 600 yards with the iron sights. 69 or 77 gr and good to go (wilde chamber does 223 and 5.56 ammo)

I have the same gun you're looking for. I custom built it to what I wanted with a quick detach scope, Bushnell 10x40 mil dot, and flip irons for close range. With irons I can hit a soup can at 50 yards and just blew a groundhog away at 200 with a fence rail as support. I have a 16" Aero Precision 5.56 with UBR stock. It's not a light gun but it won't break your back on a hike. :)

I have bought ARs and I have built them. I can honestly say I prefer the ones I build vs. the ones I buy over the counter. I have built them as cheap as possible and I have spent a little money to buy nicer parts. Accuracy wise there is little difference. I have shot 1/4" groups with some of the nicer ones I've built but even the cheap ones will shoot sub .5" if I am having a good day. They have all shot well under 1" with good handholds.

I like the .223 Wylde chamber as it's not as sloppy as the 5.56 but still allows you to use the 5.56 ammo.

I have a RRA LAR-15 and paid just under $1000.00 for it. During break-in I got groups between .372 and .674 (5 shot groups) with Fed. Match 77gr SMK. Only thing I wish I'd done was to get the 24 inch barrel instead of the 20. You can swap uppers to have pretty much what you want for home defense. Then you'd have a great varmint/ Preditor gun, a great home defense gun, and save some cash for whatever. My RRA is a "5" on quality. Just love it.

If people are still reading this thread, feel free to check out the Sig M400 Predator. It has tactical features, but a Geissle trigger and an 18" stainless match barrel. I've shot great groups through mine, and it's a coyote killer for sure. I'm looking at upgrading the stock right now, but like the length. I can still clear rooms, and still shoot stuff past 500 yards

I have 2 RRA rifles. Stainless heavy barrels on both. One 20", one 24". The longer one shoots a tad better but the coyotes wouldn't know the difference til you got past about 400 yds. Geissele trigger in the short one. RRA 2 stage in the long one. Great rifles but the long one is heavy. A second upper in .223 would serve for house duty. They are CHEAP right now. :D

So I still haven't made a decision. I'm liking what I'm reading on the 6.5 Grendel though. It seems to be superior to the 6.8 SPC at longer ranges from what I've seen. Correct? It doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of people who offer the 6.5 Grendel as a caliber choice - any suggestions on who makes a highly accurate one? I'm not as concerned with the AR being used for home defense now as I was previously.

So I still haven't made a decision. I'm liking what I'm reading on the 6.5 Grendel though. It seems to be superior to the 6.8 SPC at longer ranges from what I've seen. Correct? It doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of people who offer the 6.5 Grendel as a caliber choice - any suggestions on who makes a highly accurate one? I'm not as concerned with the AR being used for home defense now as I was previously.

Most ARs are mill spec uppers and lowers. Any brand with mil spec will be just fine. Then find one with a 20" barrel with 1:8 twist. You can shoot the heavy 75gr plus in them. The rest is all fluff.

Windham Weaponry has a reasonable priced varmint hunter that will shoot sub MOA out of the box. Do a little honing on the trigger sear and add a 3lb Wolff trigger spring and you'll be 1/2 MOA. From ther you can add as many accessories as you like.

The info given here is all very sound!! I have several RRA's and they are all ragged hole shooters!! I happen to like the RRA because I knew one of the owners when he was working for another AR maker! Bench guns have 24" heavy barrels, carry guns have 18 & 20" barrels! As noted above you need not spend a heavy bank roll, there are very good rifles available at this time at very reasonable prices!!
For the kind of money you thinking of spending you can have the best of both worlds 223 and 6.5 G, uppers.
Good luck in your search!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.