Which AR for Predators and Home Defense?

treillw

I'm looking to buy an AR for coyotes and predators in general. I will be hunting in Montana where you can shoot very far. High accuracy is my number one requirement. I would like to work up a load and get the gun shooting .5 MOA or better.

I also intend to use the AR for home protection and if the SHTF - this would be more of a secondary purpose for the gun. With this use in mind, I don't want a super long package. (There you go, I teed it up for you) The lighter the better, but I wouldn't mind a 9lb gun if it shoots awesome.

The AR market confuses me because everybody makes one and they are all so similar. I don't know exactly what to look for that makes a difference in quality. I want a high quality rifle with a great trigger and am OK with paying for it.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

I've owned Colt, Troy, Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS, and Olympic Arms AR's. Every one of them would shoot sub MOA with good factory ammo and was superbly reliable. The higher end rifles do have better fit, finish, and options. That being said in my experience the entry level rifles performed just as well regarding accuracy and reliability.
I think that given decent optics and a good aftermarket trigger you would be impressed with the performance of any AR with a quality barrel.

When I expect long shots on coyotes I reach for my Remington R15 VTR. 22" barrel, RRA 2 stage trigger. It's a tad long but not too heavy and it shoots lights out. Remington does make them with shorter barrels as well if a camo rifle floats your boat.

Attachments

• 20160527_060255.jpg
    20160527_060255.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 272
I would look at Rock Rivers Fred Eichler series I believe outdoorlife reviewed it some time ago and it was more accurate than all the bolt guns they tested it against. Or maybe LaRues predator series.

I suggest building a 6.5 Grendel instead of buying a 5.56 AR. Go with a 16" or 18" barrel to get the weight and handling you want for home defense and still have an excellent coyote gun.

Jack

I have a DPMS Oracle that I purchased and never shot. I was thinking of selling it because I'm not in love with it. Since it's hard to do everything with one gun, I'm thinking of turning that gun into the lead slinger and getting a dedicated coyote slayer.

What's the advantage of the 6.5 Grendel?

What happened to the edit button?? Its the Christensen Arms CA-15 Recon in .223 wylde and I can get it for $2200 with no tax.

What happened to the edit button?? Its the Christensen Arms CA-15 Recon in .223 wylde and I can get it for $2200 with no tax.

Heya Treillw....

Sweet that you are considering getting an AR! I simply love them for hunting mutts! When looking at $2200... I am a little stunned! There are simply some amazing ARs out there that you could buy for a $1000 or so... then take the rest of the money and put it into Night vision... or a thermal... or just a really nice piece of glass for picking out those mutts when they are blending into the brush/thick on early mornings or late evenings!

I'd highly encourage you to look at some offerings by DPMS... the panther.. oracle... or Bushmaster... predator, or even Remington R15. I am using a DPMS Sweet 16 and it is an absolute tack driver. I'll post a pic of some common groups I get out of this beautiful rifle and I like it because of the short heavy barrel.... easy to move through brush etc. Killed so many mutts I've lost track.

Just my thinking anyways... you have so many options available... just wanted to give you another!

Good luck choosing! Have fun... keep shooting... and stay safe!!

Boss (UGA)
IMG_20141129_130147.jpg

So far there has been no mention of a Rock River. They are very nice for the price, probably a grade below custom. I own a RRA Predator Pursuit for exactly this purpose and for range fun. Just a few quick stats, it was $1100.00, 7.9 lbs, and has a 20in stainless medium contour barrel and a 3/4 MOA guarantee.

The gun shoots sub moa. Infact it will easily shoot 1/2 after I run the bore snake through it. 50g Fiocchi is what does the job, its very accurate and cheap. Also Id suggest hornady 55g. Mostly the gun is run from 150-250 and nothing really past that. Ive ran the gun over 700rds twice without cleaning before problems arrived.

Id hate to have you spend $2200-2700 and have it not shoot any better than whats really possible.

On top I have a Leupold VX-R 4-12 which is good n clear. All together the setup cost me 1700.00

I mentioned RRA's fred echlier series in the third reply I believe it has the wylde chamber also has the 3/4moa garentee. I like 18-20" barrels, a nice balance of velocity and maneuverability.

I think that 6.5 Grendel upper receivers are compatible with standard 5.56 lowers. Would it not be possible to have the rifle configured for 5.56 for home defense use (and SHTF) and then swap the upper to 6.5 Grendel when you want to go coyote hunting?

I went through this about a year and a half ago...Bought a DPMS flat top 223/556 with a 16" bull barrel . It shot under moa at 100 and 200 yrds using 69 gr mk`s.Now i`m a proud owner of a custom ar 15 in 6.8spcll .I just love this rig.22" bison heavy barrel,yhm upper,cmmg lower.And a jp trigger group set at 3lbs. Loves factory fedral fusion 115gr pills.Im working on a load with 115gr nosler custom comp`s as well. Would not hesitate to grab this over my other for zombie eradication duties.Plus a great deer and hog gun.I have a Bushnell 4200 elite 2-10 on top.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.