Which action for a 7wsm?

OKbow87

I am going to start my next project this spring, but I am wanting to go ahead and order my mcmillan stock now to help speed up the process. I am going to build a 7mm wsm and want to shoot the 168 grain berger vld's from it. I am also going to be using a M700 action and hart barrel. My question is should I start with a 700 wsm action and get a wyatt's extended box magazine, or should I build on a magnum long action. The gun is going to be a hunting gun so a repeater is a must for me. I'd love to hear from anybody that has experience with the caliber as I am always open for suggestions. I would like to use the short action if it will work to hopefully save a little bit of weight. The other question I had is if this is more of a question of just having the smith set the headspacing up right for this particular bullet as it is deff the primary bullet I am looking to use?

Colin

Youre Choice

Hi you could choose either the Mag action would require a little feeding mods so if you go with a mag action get one for an ultramag. I would get an 8 twist so you have the ability to use the new Wildcat 200gr alloy tipped projectiles when the jacjets arrive at Richards from Sierra. if you want to have the ability offered by the 200gr projectiles the long action would be best.

However if you are not ever going to use any projectile larger than 168gr than the Remington WSM action and Wyats mag box is fing and a 9 twist is all you need.

colin,
I have built the 7mmwsm's on both long and short actions. This is my personal opinion, If you're going to be shooting primarily 168-180's in a repeater, the 700 long action works very well, but I feel it is crutial to use an HS bottom metal with center feed clips for positive feeding. If you use the HS bottom metal use the clips for the 300 win mag as it is a little shorter. If you use a short action I also would use the HS bottom metal. I have two different 7mmwsm reamers one is set up for the 180's and works really good for the long action and the other one is set up for the short action.meaning it has a shorter throat.

Best of luck on your project. you've picked and awesome cartridge.

308nate

i have one of the remington 700 7mm wsm that nate is talking about. i am using it for my long range hunting rifle. there is no question that you have to use the hs bottom metal. i am very happy wih what 308nate built for me. i would use the long action i am shooting the 168 bergers and i have them seated way out. i dont think that you will have enough room in a short action. best of luck...

Do not use a Rem SA if you plan on handloading long heavy bullets to their fullest potential.
If bullets are seated out close to the lands, the COAL will be too long for the mag box. You will have to single load.
Seating same bullets to mag length with rob your case powder capacity.
Been there, done that.

Had a 300WSM built on a Rem SA and, although a fine shooter, I am limited in bullet selection.
YMMV.

I just finished my 7WSM on a 700 LA and had Dave Kiff build a reamer specifically for this. I have a tight no turn neck, but a throat that allows me to seat these long VLD bullets way out so as to not impinge on case capacity. I'm currently using 180 JLKs that end up on the lands with a col of 3.125. I have no feeding issues with 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. (Action used to be on a 300 RUM) I think this is the ultimate setup for the 7 WSM as I believe I can reach the full potential of this cartridge. Oh, the 30" 5R barrel won't hurt either! PM me if you have any questions regarding my setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.