Which Stiller action for a 338/378 or 338 Lapua build

ridge rider

I want to build a long range rifle based on either of these two cartridges.
338/378 Weatherby or 338 Lapua.
Can some one please advise which Stiller action and which bottom metal and magazine combination in either Badger, Seekins or Wyatts Entended magazines either staggered or single stack is the most suitable for the following purposes.
I wish to load/use the 300 Sierra Match King (300SMK) or the new Berger 338 calibre 300 grain Hybrid bullets for long range shooting.
I was hoping the Stiller Predator Exrememe with a Wyatts Extended would do the trick, however I am being told this might not be the go because of where the bolt stop is in relation to the magazine and may not be the way to go.
Can someone please advise me of the perfect combination to make these feed properly from a magazine etc....

Last edited:
I am currently running a TAC338, with Badge Bottom Metal and AI Magazines for a standard 338LM with 300 gr. SMKs. It works fine (I bought the rig set up this way).

When the current barrel is toast, I'll swap over to the 338 Norma Magnum, as it allows for the 300 gr. SMKs to be seated out of the powder column and still fit in a standard AI Magazine. I think you'l find a very large numer of options for the 338 bolt face.

JeffVN

Some thoughts to consider. Here in the P.N.W. the std. 338 LM has become almost extinct to the 338-378. Both cartridges are too long to properly seat the bullets far enough out in actions that are designed for the Wby. and LM. Both work great but the more accurate ones are too long for mag length and require push feeding. Even if you start out in the magazine the throat errosion is severe with the longer bullets and you will probably be chasing the lands down the barrel by seating the bullets longer and longer. Choose the one with the longest magazine length and if they are all 3.8 inches then it wont make a rip of difference as long as it push feeds. For L.R. single stack is much better, it allows the cartridge to be pinched at the shoulders preventing the bullet from coming into contact with the front of the magazine and preventing your cartridge o.a.l. from becoming shorter due to recoil.

I would use a tac338 chamber it for the 338Lapua improved and shoot the cutting edge 225gr solids. They have a .64bc and from the range reports coming in, they are super accurate.

Hi Fellas,

Thanks for your comments and I must apologize my "late" replies.
I have got myself a Stiller TAC338 coming which is due to arrive shortly and am seriously looking at chambering it in the 338Lapua Improved or 338 Allen Xpress .
I've been somewhat pre-occupied in looking up whatever I can on these two chamberings.
Even sent Kirby a personal email but no response as yet.
Perhaps he is away hunting so I will wait.

Thanks again to all who offered their advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.