Which .277 cartridge for berger 170's (AI, WSM,etc)

Hey guys I'm really hoping for some good info and insight from all of you 270 lovers.

I am currently getting ready to start a build and my goal is to build a nice 8.5-9 lb (with scope) med-long range hunting rifle. As of lately, I am infatuated with the idea of something in the .277 cal that will run the new berger 170s a little over 3000. I am having trouble deciding on which cartridge to chamber to get me to my goal. Some cartridges that have peaked my interest are something along the lines of the 270 AI and the 270 wsm.

I like the idea of the Wsm because of the slight speed advantage that I assume it would have. However, my donor action I'm building on is a Remington model 721 in 30-06, so going with the Ackley would keep me from having to open up the bolt face. Also, not sure how I feel about building a short mag on a long action (is that deafeating the purpose of having a short mag? Or will the extra length actually be benefitted from when shooting those long bullets?)

Any input, experience, suggestions is greatly appreciated. I am open to other cartridge suggestions also if there's one you guys know about that I'm not thinking of.

270-300WM, 270 Weatherby ...3100fps with the 170 Berger.

A 270 Sherman will be about 2950-3000fps with a longish barrel and probably is the most power you can fit in a 30-06 action without modifications.

While I agree the 7stw is an awesome catridge I already have a long range rifle in a 7 mag. Shoots like a dream and actually get great velocity with berger 180s, love the rifle but it is a tank to pack hunting.
I have the itch for a new build and there is just something about the 277 cal that is calling me. The 270-300 win would be a screamer! I will definitely entertain that idea. What could I expect for barrel life on a rig like that?

What is the Sherman? That's one I'm not too familiar with, I've heard the name but I'm not familiar with the specifics.

The 270 weatherby would also be a screamer, however I've never been much of a weatherby nut.. something about all that freebore that kind of turns me off. Maybe that's not a big deal and I'm sure it is a wonderful cartridge, it just doesn't get me excited the way other cartridges do.

270-300WM, 270 Weatherby ...3100fps with the 170 Berger.

A 270 Sherman will be about 2950-3000fps with a longish barrel and probably is the most power you can fit in a 30-06 action without modifications.

What is the 270 Sherman exactly? Is it a pain to find components for? (Reamer, brass,dies, etc).

I'm not sure how much barrel life you will get with the 270-300WM. It will probably be going south around 800 rounds but it may be more or less depending on how fast you shoot repeat shots etc. I have one and it will comfortably shoot 3100fps with the 170 Berger with a 28" barrel. It is based on the 300 Winchester Magnum so there will have to have modifications to your action.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/270-300-win-mag-now-feasible-155307/

I also have a 270 Sherman, a 270 Sherman is a 270 Winchester case with the shoulder moved ahead about .1" and is improved. It has a 9-10% increase in powder capacity over the 270Win and 5% over the 270 AI. The Sherman will not require any modifications to the action you have.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/270-sherman-109255/

I'm not sure how much barrel life you will get with the 270-300WM. It will probably be going south around 800 rounds but it may be more or less depending on how fast you shoot repeat shots etc. I have one and it will comfortably shoot 3100fps with the 170 Berger with a 28" barrel. It is based on the 300 Winchester Magnum so there will have to have modifications to your action.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/270-300-win-mag-now-feasible-155307/

I also have a 270 Sherman, a 270 Sherman is a 270 Winchester case with the shoulder moved ahead about .1" and is improved. It has a 9-10% increase in powder capacity over the 270Win and 5% over the 270 AI. The Sherman will not require any modifications to the action you have.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/270-sherman-109255/

Man that 270-300 sounds awesome no doubt. I will definitely dive into that thread you posted.
You guys have sparked my interest with the Sherman also. I like the idea of that a lot. Is it a pain to find a reamer for and dies for? I like the idea of doing a wildcat, but I don't want to get into one that's too big of a pain to get chambered and find dies for. If that's stuffs not a pain then I really might have to entertain building one.

It's too bad the 270 Weatherby gets such a bad rap. It will drive a 165 Matrix with RL-26 to 3150 feet per second without even trying. Recoil is not bad either. The Hornady 270 Weatherby brass I've been using has been fired 5 times now and shows no sign of wear. It is reasonably priced also.

I don't shoot factory loaded ammo so the fact that Weatherby loaded ammo is expensive doesn't matter at all.

That being said I have shot some 165 Matrix out of a regular 270Win with reasonable performance. I thing a 270AI or 270Sherman with a fast twist barrel would do very well with the 170 Berger.

It's too bad the 270 Weatherby gets such a bad rap. It will drive a 165 Matrix with RL-26 to 3150 feet per second without even trying. Recoil is not bad either. The Hornady 270 Weatherby brass I've been using has been fired 5 times now and shows no sign of wear. It is reasonably priced also.

I don't shoot factory loaded ammo so the fact that Weatherby loaded ammo is expensive doesn't matter at all.

That being said I have shot some 165 Matrix out of a regular 270Win with reasonable performance. I thing a 270AI or 270Sherman with a fast twist barrel would do very well with the 170bergers.

What would you expect for barrel life in a 270 wby shooting 170s? Shooting them that fast sure would make for some impressive ballistics. What kind of velocities would people expect from the Sherman with 170s? How would barrel life between the Sherman and the weatherby compare?

That being said I have shot some 165 Matrix out of a regular 270Win with reasonable performance. I thing a 270AI or 270Sherman with a fast twist barrel would do very well with the 170bergers.

What would you expect for barrel life in a 270 wby shooting 170s? Shooting them that fast sure would make for some impressive ballistics. What kind of velocities would people expect from the Sherman with 170s? How would barrel life between the Sherman and the weatherby compare?

You can build 270Wby without the Wby freebore, just throat it like you want. I got one build Rem action with Rock Creek 26" barrel. I haven't shot the Berger 170gr yet which I plan on doing this coming year. I'm shooting Wby brass and I had Wilson neck and seater made from chamber reamer.

I've been playing around with 284 and 280AI I had build and put 270Wby on back burner.

One of the F-Class shooters at out gun club here in Co has been shooting the 284 Sherman and it's pretty nice rifle and my 284 is on long action. If and when I replace 284 it's going to be with the Sherman. I'm kind of getting off topic.

well good luck

Thanks for all the replies so far. You guys have certainly opened my eyes to some new ideas, the wheels are really turning in my head now. Not gonna lie the thought of a hot rod like the weatherby or the 270-300 win excited me, I'm just a little indecisive right now, really trying to weigh all my options at this point. I will say that Sherman certainly has my attention big time though.

Another question for you guys not sure if anyone knows more. Has anyone entertained the thought of a 270 LRM.. take the gunworks 7lrm and neck it to 270? Just an idea not sure if anyone's played with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.