What's your opinion on shooting a 250gr. bullet from the a Lapua when hunting over 1K?

In my circle I know guys that have taken the 300 to 1300+ on game, the bullet was showing some varied results,but the game was harvested no problem. There are guys on here that favor the 250, it can be pushed fast and look at what they do with 30 cal 230. I shot the majority of my elk with 225 Nosler part. out to the 900 range no problem,some like spine hits where just one and done. I use 300 otm and never feel undergunned for 1000 type.When I used my 7rem I did.I load 250 NAB for my Marine double sharp shooter son in the 340Wby. Has no problems, I h I ave shot a lot of game with the NAB's and like them. In my area here I am seeing more guys using the 300 NAB with good results.The 300 gr. is just a hammer dont care if it is a berger or a NAB.The Nosler seems always easier to get accurate load.
I think distance and game hunted makes the difference. If I am shooting far or at big animals like an elk I want total penetration. I like an exit hole. The 300 has enough that if you hit shoulder bone it still will in most cases exit. In shooting rocks I know the 300 hits hard and breaks them sometimes. If you shoot at steel at 1000 yards the 300 Berger blows right through. Matt

I think distance and game hunted makes the difference. If I am shooting far or at big animals like an elk I want total penetration. I like an exit hole. The 300 has enough that if you hit shoulder bone it still will in most cases exit. In shooting rocks I know the 300 hits hard and breaks them sometimes. If you shoot at steel at 1000 yards the 300 Berger blows right through. Matt
Ive had exits on game including elk that where fist sized,guess that what happens at 50 yrds:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.