Whats the next step up from the Razor HD 16-48x65 spotting scope

Elkwonder

I ordered a new Razor HD scope last year and never got a chance to play with it. I got it for spotting down at the badlands. I got it out today, and think I want something a little better. or clearer. My question to you guys with a lot of experience is whats the next step up in clarity? DO I have to step all the way up to the Kowa or Swarovski to get noticeably better clarity? Is there anything better than Vortex in the 1400 to 1500 range, or should I just bite the bullet and pony up the money for the Kowa or Swarovski? Thanks for the info.....

If the razor is noticeably not good enough for you upon first impression I wouldn't screw around with anything that wasn't the flagship model for swaro, leica, zeiss, or kowa, etc. But I would compare them all first as the razor will hold with most of them in one aspect or another..

Yes you will have to go to the high end swaros, liecas to see a difference, and it's not a big difference. IMO the vortex razors are the best spotting scope for the $. The high end binos are definitely worth the extra expense, but not so with a spotter.

If your a professional guide that needs to judge antlers as precisely as possible it's might be worth the extra for the swaros/liecas . But if your like most of us/ me the razor is a great spotting scope and does everything a serious hunter needs.

I've had a number of Swaro and Razors side by side and I've usually chosen to keep spotting with the Razors, I did see one day recently where the conditions were excellent and one of the guys had the newest Swaro, $4500, and it was excellent and we could see more detail at long range but that was one day where the conditions were just that good, any other day the conditions levels the top of the playing field.

Meopta Meostar S2 is the next level up (or the NF model they make for NF). From there, there is a TINY advantage jumping to the big 3 euro models (Swaro, Zeiss, Leica). This is for optical quality only. There are other factors that can make any of these shuffle around in order such as weight, purpose, resale, etc... But for pure optical performance, the next level up is Meopta.

For me Kowa is more of a birding scope, however I've heard nothing but good as far as glass goes.

That being said, bigngreen nailed it. On a normal day the environmental conditions level the playing field. With mirage or snow or rain or smoke, etc..., they are all going to have the same capabilities. On a perfect morning or in perfect conditions however, my first paragraph remains true (to my eyes).

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.