Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Well gents... I think I found a new cartridge to hate. The 26 Nosler.

$90 Canadian for 20 empty brass. No ammunition to be found within the province. Although 1 box in a city 3 hour drive away but its match ammo and not hunting ammo.

Can at least make brass using 300 RUM brass.

———-

I hope she goes faster than that…my boring old 270 gets a 140 to 3100 out of a 22 inch pipe. Pails of brass for it…😁

HORRIBLE overbore!!! I mean do we need a 140 grain bullet doing 3300 fps????

The only good thing is that it makes a 6.5 Creedmoor look like a 22 rifle. The 26 Nosler at 400 yards HAS THE SAME VELOCITY as the Creedmoor.

So...I went and bought one!!!!

Nosler M48. Just won it in an auction yesterday.

Any Nosler cartridge is a stupid choice. The velocity pro can't make up enough for the cons of cost per shot and recoil.
I don't know if I can fully agree just for one case…the 28 Nosler. Seems to be on par with the STW and RUM out of a shorter action and while a barrel eater, definitely not as short lived as the RUM and while I like my belted magnums the belt on the stw really does serve no purpose except to add another possible point of error in concentricity and make a weak spot in the case just above the belt. They're all stupid expensive to shoot so that's a moot point just between these three.

If one wishes to go bigger than the 7mm weatherby the 28 Nosler makes a lot of sense

I took my Sako finnlight in 7 RM and re-chambered it in 28 Nosler.

Gotta admit, the gun/cartridge makes for a really nice long range hard hitting combo. But would it have been any different if I would have left it as a 7 RM???? Probably not. I like the clip with it and the trigger is 2.5 lbs. It just handles really nicely. So I would probably like the gun regardless of the cartridge.

So right now I like the 28 but because of other reasons lol.

I took my Sako finnlight in 7 RM and re-chambered it in 28 Nosler.

Gotta admit, the gun/cartridge makes for a really nice long range hard hitting combo. But would it have been any different if I would have left it as a 7 RM???? Probably not. I like the clip with it and the trigger is 2.5 lbs. It just handles really nicely. So I would probably like the gun regardless of the cartridge.

So right now I like the 28 but because of other reasons lol.
I was just poking the hornets nest so to speak. My favorite rifles are a 7/300 Valkyrie wildcat, Rem Sendero 300 wm, Browning 338 A bolt medalion, 7mm RM, the and last but not least Rem.Sendero 300 RUM.

30 nosler isnt a barrel eater. 28 is but who cares. Unless you got sissy shoulders. 5 port break will solve that. If you still cant shoot it i wouldnt tell anyone that. Ive heard the bs on shoulder issues im a lineman my shoulders are jacked surgery on one already. Still throw 100 rounds out of a lapua. The reason is killing power, 6.5 anything doesn't got it. Wanna know what calibers suck ask a outfitter.

I was just poking the hornets nest so to speak. My favorite rifles are a 7/300 Valkyrie wildcat, Rem Sendero 300 wm, Browning 338 A bolt medalion, 7mm RM, the and last but not least Rem.Sendero 300 RUM.
I've got 1 that I avoid. A Rem 870 3" mag with 20" full rifled barrel slug gun. With a 1 1/4 Oz. slug it's a rush. It's like getting hit in the shoulder with a baseball bat. The recoil is the quickest that I've ever experienced.

Last edited:
30 nosler isnt a barrel eater. 28 is but who cares. Unless you got sissy shoulders. 5 port break will solve that. If you still cant shoot it i wouldnt tell anyone that. Ive heard the bs on shoulder issues im a lineman my shoulders are jacked surgery on one already. Still throw 100 rounds out of a lapua. The reason is killing power, 6.5 anything doesn't got it. Wanna know what calibers suck ask a outfitter.

Heck, even without a brake, sissy shoulders……unless it's a shooter using "Bud Light" for nutrition and regularly getting massaged by a 6.5 CM, should handle the recoil quite easily! 😂

Cost, after the purchase of brass, the cost per shot is approximately the same as any other 0.284" except for the minimum increase in powder consumption!

If ya want it…..do it! memtb

Last edited:
Thing is people say 6.5 creed prc ect. Itll kill a elk yes.. only if shot is good. I've personally seen a 150 gr 270 not get past first shoulder didnt even get too the vitals on 400 yard shot. Big bull though rosevelt. Big guns help when shot wasn't perfect. Too many variables for every shot to be perfect. Buddy had guy in camp last week shot a bear 6.5 prc 200 yards great shot rolled it down hill. It got up ran off. They tracked it to eventually blood stopped day or two later found it again eating doing well. Client missed him that time. Year or ago he had a client shoot a bull 338 lapua 350 yard shot. Blew it over client told him i told you this gun was impressive he said ya im impressed you shot him in the ***. Anyway bull drug himself down hill 500 yards to where he finally bled out. Gun did enough damage.