Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Actually points out that more tissue destruction is always better, but that instant kills may result from striking major blood vessels during systole, or contraction of the heart, resulting in rupture of the blood vessels in the brain and instant incapacitation. As a physician, this is plausible.

They based this on a series of necropsies on Cape buffalos performed by veterinarians during a cull. Of course, no way to verify the heart was in systole but it's a theory that would explain why the blood vessels in the heads of the 'instant kills' were ruptured.

Anyhow, worth the read.

Yes they are but,..
You don't get any more American than, Grand Island Nebraska where,.. the Creedmoor's / PRC's,.. come from !
Just Yanking your chain, Just because,..
I personally have, NO use for, a .308 doesn't make them,.. "Bad" ,.. LOL !
Tried, the 6.5 Creed, a couple of years ago and all I can say is,.. WOW !
My Man bun is still,.. pretty, short, tho !
You probably need to wear a hat so your ol head don't get sun burnt again & buy another NeedMoor 😊😁😁🤣🤣

Never was a believer in ft/lbs energy ad a measure of killing power…….well, except when I was a kid reading and believing everything in the outdoors magazines!

I more s follower of the TKO (Taylor Knockout) school of thought! memtb

Last edited:
I've seen a whitetail hit with a 300 RUM run an Olympic-speed sprint across a field.... with heart and most of his lungs 80 yards behind him.

The physics of it is simple - if it didn't knock the shooter down, it can't knock the animal down. That's why things don't fly backwards when they get shot with a shotgun like in the movies. It's more like hitting someone with a baseball bat. You're going to know about it and you're going to feel it, but you aren't going to Matrix-fly across the room and knock all the shelves off the wall.

I've seen a whitetail hit with a 300 RUM run an Olympic-speed sprint across a field.... with heart and most of his lungs 80 yards behind him.

The physics of it is simple - if it didn't knock the shooter down, it can't knock the animal down. That's why things don't fly backwards when they get shot with a shotgun like in the movies. It's more like hitting someone with a baseball bat. You're going to know about it and you're going to feel it, but you aren't going to Matrix-fly across the room and knock all the shelves off the wall.

C'mon now…..you know that an animal hit with 4 or 5 thousand ft/lbs energy is gonna be launched for many feet, maybe even include a few somersaults ending with a half-gainer! memtb

Last edited:
Ok... loved the article eventhough I found 1 or 2 things that bugged me a touch.

As a long time moose hunter (having shot around 27-28 moose) moose are the BIGGEST BABIES there are!!! Unfortunately (and this used to be common in central Manitoba and I knew guys who had done it) but everybody had a 22 magnum bolt or semi auto. Guys would see a moose up to 50 to 75 yards... pull the trigger and pump 4-5 rounds in the chest. The moose goes "**** horse fly" walks over to a thicket and goes... "I'm just going to lie here because that fly bite stings still..." lungs fill up with blood and dead moose. But I will also admit that I have shot moose on a full run with 300 Win, WBY, etc. And the moose are down in 20 yards. BUT... to date the moose I felt almost sorry for was a cow moose that was running at full bore 30 yards from me when I shot it with the 30-378 WBY with 168 barnes moly coated x bullets stoked with max loads. You could see her entire body shudder. She came to an jnstant stop and her whole body was arched as if in a major body cramp. I jacked another shell in and quickly shot her in the neck.

You could possible argue (not making the argument as i have no clue) that the blood vessels bursting was due to hydrostatic shock through the body??? (Maybe???)

I believe... use good bullets, that penetrate and don't blow up!!! Shoot as big a caliber (if you can shoot a magnum accurately great... if not go down to a standard caliber, etc etc) but understand that this reduces the range.

Trouble is... everyone here has gone "wow... he/she dropped like a rock!!!" And then the next one runs on you and it turns out to be a good shot. And you go "what the h....??"

But let's face it... the guys are Jurassic park didn't hunt the T-Rex with a 477 nitro double rifle.... hell no!!! It was a 6.5 creedmore!!!!

Now... on that same note... why did I just wind up buying this then... Ruger M77 ultralight in 243 Win. Lol

This year might have to be the year of Ruger. M77 in 257 Roberts now rechambered to 257 Roberts AI and this M77 ultralight.

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_223159.jpg
    IMG_20230424_223159.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 24
WAO! 92 pages on love/hate!
Why not start an "Indeference thread"?
I just like the classic cartridges. Only have two "modern" ones. 338LM and 300AAC.
Dont hate ot love to hate any. Just indefferent about them. If you give me one, fine, just not spending money.
Enjoy what you have, or give it to me of you hate it.

7-08

I can't even count the guys I have ran into at the range over the years that can't shoot, know absolutely nothing. But they read on the inter web that a Tikka 7-08 was the be all, end all to every big game animal and hunting situation in North America. As long as you have a Barnes bullet stuffed in the case.

You can use it to part ragging creeks and walk across on dry land, it defies the laws of gravity. In a tight spot it can be used as a weed pipe and makes an excellent high lifter Jack handle.

But all the above does not apply unless the driver of the rifle is dressed head to toe in Sitka gear and the rifle can only be transported in a Toyota TRD. There is also a minimum amount of selfies that must be taken per range session.
DANG!!! You must be hanging out at my range! LOL