Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

23D68C7B-994E-4EFC-8EC0-9100D7F90153.gif

Ok.

P.s. do you have any peer reviewed research on terminal ballistics that uses "energy" as a basis for permanent stretch cavity or trauma in general? (Hint, you don't, because it isnt)
Only terminal ballistic research i need is the hundreds of animals ive killed or seen killed from moose to blacktail deer from 223 too 338 lapua. Testing 33 and 37xc this year. Yes kinectic energy does far more then a bullet going fast. Certain bullets kill better yes but thats not the argument. You didn't answer my question semi or ferrari….

I hit 6 deer with a 2018 Duramax with no damage to the truck on the first 5. All of the deer popped out of tall grass and ran in front of me on separate occasions. I hit all of the 5 does at around 103 fps, so relatively low velocity but quite a bit of mass. G1 is not even worth talking about. The replacement bumper on the front was stout and it would make a kind of ding sound when they flew off of it.

Then there was #6.

A doe popped out from the 6' tall Johnson grass on the right. I wasn't going very fast and a quick tap on the breaks saved her. Then a flash of fur and antlers went by on the right side of the windshield and I heard the sickening thump of the buck hitting my door. It felt like the rear tire ran over something. Good, I thought... he was going to pay for the damage one way or another. I probably said something about the buck and his mom's relationship around that time too.

I intended to drive up the road to a safe place to pull over and check the carnage but the ding ding ding of the low tire alarm got my attention. The right rear tire was low and slowly dropping. I was only a few miles from home so I flipped a u-turn and headed back. As I drove by the place where there should have been a dead buck there was nothing. The other side of the road was short grass. @($@@^ survived. I made it home before the tire went flat. I called a buddy in town that owns a tire shop to see if he had another tire like the set that I was running. He didn't but he could have one by later that morning if he ordered it right then. He actually drove the 6 miles to my place, took the tire off, and took it to his shop. While it was on the jack I put the spare on in case I needed to go to town. He brought the tire and rim back when it was ready. Small town service for the win.

Clearly the Duramax has enough shock power to kill if it's a good shot. Glancing blows not so much.

The buck got 2 door panels (front and rear) to hang on his wall... All I got was this in the sidewall of the tire. I haven't quite figured out how to mount it. Shoulder? Turn to the left? Right? Straight?

p1486684181-6.jpg
ouch... I feel your pain... I throttled a buck with my work truck a few years back in cold weather. It made a mess of the plastic and sheet metal on the front of the truck, but when I tried to see the rack the next day on the way back through, the antlers were gone... I hit him so hard I knocked his rack off..

Recent Posts