What would you pack for a day hunt?

Never hurts to have a legal sidearm on you.

Not sure I would include in Ok, but in a Western Mountain Hunt, always!

Good luck finding said TP. For real though a small first aid kit , 2 good knives small hatchet. I generally have a book or magazine thrown in the back pack for when I get bored . I'd second the two way radio also and even though your that close to camp a map and compass. Some para cord for possible help field dressing it makes a easy job even easier. Deer drag for sure. Snacks drinks and 4 rounds of ammo and said firearm . Whatever layering clothes system you do, extra socks at least 2 pair . And a good pair of shooting /walking sticks. With that in your pack you'd be good for a day long sit / still hunt

Wet wipes either regular or the expensive scent free ones if you so desire...

Most importantly, have a plan, share the plan, and stick to the plan. That way people know where to look for you...

Last edited:
Don't bring too much
10 essentials
Foam sleeping pad cut to the shape of inside your pack
You lose a lot of heat to cold ground
Game bags
Skinning knife
2 lights. Headlamp and small flashlight. If one goes down you have the other
If you use a water bladder, bring a 1 liter nalgene hard sided bottle too. Bladders fail. Ask me how I know
Of course binos
Food etc

Small back pack
Reliable head lamp or flashlight, extra batteries
Water, water purification tablets
Snacks
Pee bottle
First aid kit
Knife
Matches
Extra thermal shirt or small blanket

Day pack for me is a 30-40 lbs including rifle. Water, bars, trail mix, essentials, and often i take a jet boil and mtn house. I like a wrap for fresh food too. Sandwiches are ok too but wraps seem to hold up better. I generally hike 5-10 miles on a typical hunt in mountain terrain.

Don't know if you can get them in the states but a half liter kellys kettle, in alloy they weigh next to nothing and boil the 1/2 litre of water in about 3 minutes. Use your ingenuity for water, fuel and ignition. Let the water boil for a few minutes and it'll be sterile.
Don't know if you have the app "what 3 words" over there, most of the emergency services in the UK have it. If you got it look up "yards.pace.cool" and you'll see where I sit to type - but omit the inverted commas.
Web address is what3words.com

Last edited:
Lots of good input and concur with most. One thing that was not mentioned is the importance of a quality pack. You can't carry much or won't carry much with a uncomfortable pack. I have been using Packs from Nimrod Outdoors for many years. A couple of reasons on top of comfort. Once you purchase the base belt and shoulder harness you can attach any of the different sized packs from a simple fanny style to large wilderness pack in type. You can pack out the first load of your harvest and then attach it to a packframe for a return trip. I have acquired multiple sizes over the years to fit each of my fall and spring hunting needs. I love my pack and it is one of the few still manufactured is the USA, not just based here. (Middleton Idaho) The owner Nate answers the phone when you call! Just put in Nimrod Outdoors in your browser.

I've always hunted whitetail within a quarter mile of the cabin. Close enough it's easy to come back in when things seem dead. My cousin got married and has step kids now, so now there's competition for all the close spots. I've got a few spots a mile plus into the woods scouted out, but now I need to figure out what to take with me since it'll be more worth it to stay out all day.

Generally I'm figuring snacks, hydration, first aid, rain gear, extra warm layer, field dressing kit. Am I missing anything obvious? Eastern Oklahoma by the way.

I don't hunt miles away from camp anymore because of physical issues. But......if I get dropped off by an outfitter I want to be capable of spending the night in the woods if I have to. One year while on a bear hunt I was left out until 10:45 before I was picked up; and there was not phone service so I was there until someone realized that I had not been picked up. The only thing that really saved me was a light polar fleece jacket that I had wrapped up and tied to my pack; and.....this was September in Maine so not too cool until after sundown. I always make sure that I have a fire starting system if not two! I have a small OUTERS gun cleaning kit that I never leave camp without. This past deer season we saved a day's hunt because I could clear my buddy's barrel of snow after a fall. The OUTER's kit is a small, circular case with a rubber coated cable that contains a bore brush, a jag and some gun cleaning fluid; really worth having. And.....I have a trauma first aid kit, about $100, that includes clot bandages and a tourniquet. This stuff is survival stuff, and of course, like a seat belt, we'll never ever need it right!! My outfitter is a small operation, there's no phone service where we hunt, we're in a 60,000 acre leased parcel of land that is private and gaited, so once we are dropped off, "we" are there until someone picks us up or figures we are out there. If for some reason they get injured on their way in to pick us up, we are on our own until. And one last thing that I'd like to suggest is that you leave a flight plan in camp before you head into the area that you plan to hunt.

Pack 3000 cubic inches

1. extra wool t shirt
2. extra pr socks
2.knife and sharpener
3. small saw
4.water and life straw 2 liter Hydration bladder gator aid mix.
5 couple sandwiches and 2 candy bars
5 thermos coffee survival blanket
6.phone and inreach by garmin
7. book
9. small tarp
10. Gun box ammo
11. Binos / range finder
12. neck gator ,took ,gloves
13 rain suit
14 clothing I prefer wool.
15 down jacket in stuff sack
15 id and hunting license
16 base ball cap
17 sun glasses
18 watch,old style compass
19. tripod spotting scope
20. Lens cleaner cloth
21. chapstick, wind checker
22 small first aid kit
23 extra batteries.
24.Camera
25 Head lamp Flash light
26. Paper towels in zip lock
27. baby wipes dr. rubber glovers

Lots of good input and concur with most. One thing that was not mentioned is the importance of a quality pack. You can't carry much or won't carry much with a uncomfortable pack. I have been using Packs from Nimrod Outdoors for many years. A couple of reasons on top of comfort. Once you purchase the base belt and shoulder harness you can attach any of the different sized packs from a simple fanny style to large wilderness pack in type. You can pack out the first load of your harvest and then attach it to a packframe for a return trip. I have acquired multiple sizes over the years to fit each of my fall and spring hunting needs. I love my pack and it is one of the few still manufactured is the USA, not just based here. (Middleton Idaho) The owner Nate answers the phone when you call! Just put in Nimrod Outdoors in your browser.

My Checklist for a day hunt 2-5 miles from wheels in the mountains:

Licenses
Vest
Backpack w/ gun carry

Food for the day

Inner Jacket
Rain Gear
Outer Jacket
Gloves
Hat

Boots
Gaiters
Muck Boots if muddy

Water
Filter/Iodine
Empty Bottle for Wash Water

Leatherman and/or Knife
Saw

Sunglasses
Binoculars
Range Finder
Camera (Cell Phone)

Headlamp
Batteries

Rifle
Ammo
Shooting Sticks

Cord
Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
Flagging/Marking
Drag Stick
Drag Ropes

First Aid &Blister Kit
Aspirin & Meds

Handkerchief
Rags
Toilet Paper/Wipes

Maps
Hunt Info

Cell Phone
Whistle
Spot GPS

Fire Making Stuff

Where-I-Am-Going Info left at home, and in vehicle

I don't bring spare clothing for a one day hunt

Last edited:
Head out before sunrise and back at the ATV by dusk. Mainly spot and stalk hunting so: trail mix, water, 5 rounds, satellite tel, iPhone, compass, small first aid kit, knife, deer drag, para chord, fire starter kit, extra batteries, a few water purification tablets, headlamp, sharpener, beacon, a couple of plastic garbage bags, butt pad, walking sticks, small foldable saw, extra socks. I know it's a lot but it's unforgiving heavily treed mountain country. When things go wrong they go very wrong.

Maybe Hire a Dr. to go with you, set up a Catering service to meet you at noon for lunch, make sure everyone has Ear Buds so they can listen to music or the big game, lawn chairs to rest on, other than that I'm not sure what many people need to survive in their daily lives anymore. What I take is my Rifle, Bullets and a sharp knife, I dress for conditions, if it's going to snow maybe Packs "warm Boots" and a water resistant coat a pair of gloves. you're NOT going on a Excursion to the North pole your going to be within a couple of miles to your cabin. in the winter months you don't even need much water. you're Hunting not running

My Checklist for a day hunt 2-5 miles from wheels in the mountains:

Licenses
Vest
Backpack w/ gun carry

Inner Jacket
Rain Gear
Outer Jacket
Gloves
Hat

Boots
Gaiters
Muck Boots if muddy

Water
Filter/Iodine
Wash Water

Leatherman and/or Knife
Saw

Sunglasses
Binoculars
Range Finder
Camera (Cell Phone)

Headlamp
Batteries

Rifle
Ammo
Shooting Sticks

Cord
Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
Flagging/Marking
Drag Stick
Drag Ropes

First Aid &Blister Kit
Aspirin & Meds

Handkerchief
Rags
Toilet Paper/Wipes

Maps
Hunt Info

Cell Phone
Whistle
Spot GPS

Where-I-Am-Going Info left at home, and in vehicle
WOW, you're packing all that crap for a 1 day hunt???????????