What to look for in used Sendero?

MTHunt

Was at a scheels and spotted a used Sendero SFII in 7mm Rem kinda what I have been looking for as a starter rig. Good to tweek with a new trigger and bed the whole action or just the recoil lug. What did you guys look at in when buying used? Stock had no scratchs and the muzzle crown looked good kinda had bad light to see down the barrel well... Only ever bought used shotguns before, never a rifle. Price wasnt to bad. Help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

That's what thought as well if I do snatch it up. I think the main reason it was traded in was the trigger sucks. Would it still be worth getting without scoping the bore? Or should I just go new?

Asking price on used Senderos tend to stay pretty high relative to new. You end up paying more than the sum total price of the rifle parts, so the barrel HAS to be in good shape in order for it to be a good deal. I have returned two (a 7mm Mag and 300 RUM): both were sold with "only a few hundred rounds down the tube", but inspection revealed a very worn throat. Because of this, scoping the bore is an absolute necessity. Most retail sellers will give you a two day 'free look' with the understanding that the rifle is not to be fired and returned in exact same condition. One retailer required speaking with gunsmith before rifle could be returned. Most gunsmiths will provide the service for $20 to $30 bucks. Good Luck.

Budsgunshop.com has that rifle new for $1,122 + shipping + FFL transfer fee. For that price I would get the new rifle from Bud's or make a much lower offer for the used one.

That's a good point for got about buds. After doing some figuring it is a lot of options.. Buy new from a dealer, buy new and set-up from say Red Hawk, or just spend a bit more and go Cooper or Christensen arms..

I bought my Sendero brand new 2 years ago for $1050 +FFL fees - I want to say it was from Gitguns.com I think for the price they are asking, you could probably find a new one for not much more than that.

Yeah I have moved on to looking for something else... Either a DIY build on a savage or Rem/age set up, have been talking to a few custom builders as well around me..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.