What to buy? NX8 or MK5HD

I wouldn't touch another NX8 in my lifetime. Sales by specifications on that product line. Sounds really great on paper, imo horrible in the hand. The FOV and Eye Box make it nearly useless outside of bench shooting. I've tried all three versions.

Following this thread since I have questions about these scopes too. So far I've never spent more than $300 or so on a scope but I'm starting to settle firmly in the belief that you ought to spend as much or more on the scope as you do on your gun. After all, they're both of about the same importance in the hunting game.
You have a good point. In my humble opinion (unless you are building a $5,000+ custom bolt gun) you need to spend 1 to 1.5x the cost of your rifle on a scope. That's what it's worked out for me based on my rifle inventory that has scopes. There are some really great scopes out there in the $1,000 to $1,500 range that would be a great starter scope if you are in the process of upgrading your glass. I am a hunter first and paper puncher second. True enough, there are lots of deer taken each year with $300 scopes (when I was younger and poor it's what I used). However, if there is any way you can swing it, you will not regret stepping up to good quality glass. Midway runs some great sales on scopes so keep an eye out there. I have midrange scopes (Zeiss Conquest 4, Trijicon Tenmile HX, Rudolph) all the way up to a Night Force ATCAR 5-25x56mm with 34mm tube. The ATCAR is very nice—don't get me wrong; however where I deer hunt my farthest shot is around 300 yards and my other mid-level scopes do just fine. The Trijicon Tenmile HX 5-25x50 will set you back about $1,500 and the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 about $1,200. I recently picked up the Zeiss Conquest V4 I am referring to from Midway for $800—was on sale marked $350 off (a great deal) and I have been super impressed with this optic for the money. I have it mounted and dialed in on a Benelli Lupo 6.5 PRC and I couldn't be happier. After getting it dialed in at 25 yards I backed up to 100 yards and dialed it in with only 2 shots (don't think I have ever done that before). You are approaching this the right way as many people on this forum can give you great advice. Find a reticle you like that fits your needs, do a little research on the scope and warranty, and get the most you can for what you can afford and I think you will be very happy.

I have two comments 1st a shooter should spend as much or more on good glass than the rifle. 2. I have 5 NF NXS 5.5-22x50. I prefer the NXS reticle over the NX8. The eye relief seems better and the MOAR reticle has large post on the ends. My #2 scopes are Leopold.

I have both. Feature wise, reticle, and ease of use hands down go to Leupold. I think the pr-1 ffp reticle is the best I've ever use for a hunting reticle. My buddies and I jumped on board a couple years ago and they worked great at first, but now we are having issue with the scope holding zero. Everything is torqued down on the rifle and scope with indicator marks so I know nothing has moved. It is definitely worse with the 5-25 model versus the 3.6-18, but it's still an issue. They seem to handle recoil just fine. What seems to kill them is lots of off-road driving. Its not enough zero shift to miss a deer out to 300 yards, but beyond that it's enough to cause a miss or bad gut shot. Every trip to the range the scope has to be re-zeroed by a couple inches.

Because of that I'm switching completely over to Nightforce. The Nightforce glass is good, the eye box is good, and the reticle is good. The durability is fantastic. My biggest gripe with Nightforce is their reticles. The way they do the offset hashes makes them slower to count bars when holding wind. Also most of their decent reticles with center dots have Christmas trees which I don't love. I think the moa-xt is probably their best ffp moa reticle right now. If they would design a good reticle, I don't think Leupold would get another look. All that said, the Nightforce reticle is usable and you get used to it. If you use the two scopes side by side my guess is you would want the Leupold. That's how I was too, but I'd recommend the Nightforce. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good your glass is or nice the features are, if the scope doesn't hold zero it's worthless.

The 4-32 nx8 is also only slightly heavier. If the compact nature of the optic isn't something your after I'd go with the 4-32 over the 2.5-20.

I just put a Mk5 3-18 with the Gunwerks RH1 hunting reticle on a 7PRC (Origin action, proof bbl, Manners Pro Hunter) and I like it quite a bit. Weight is perfect, tracks true to 1020y, RH1 reticle is visible to my eye at low magnification and is easy to use at higher magnification. Glass is clear, image seems bright, and has a descent FOV . I usually run a NF ATACR, but a buddy had this scope and wasn't using it. He offered to let me try it. I've got plenty of time to thoroughly test it out before 2024 Elk season. So far so good. I didn't care for the NF NX8 4-32x I had for a short while. I thought the parallax was finicky. Good luck.
First of all, very nice set-up—I am jealous…lol. I currently have (2) 6.5 PRC's (love both of them) and I was actually considering rubbing my nickels together and getting a Gunwerks rifle for my next build; however I am not sure of the caliber yet.
I appreciate your comments about the NF NX8 4-32x as I am seriously considering purchasing this scope for my next one. NF scopes are typically a little heavier than other brands of same power and quality; however, the NX8 4-32x comes in on the lighter side for the amount of magnification you get which is one reason I was so drawn to it. After hearing your comments I will definitely do more research before my purchase. Thanks

I have both.The nx8 w/milc and Leupold with TMR.The TMR reticule wins out and is a better balance of size on low power, mine are mil.Optics in mine are equal otherwise.The nx8 is small on low x but mine has illumination.The NF probably better rep for durability.The rest of the for factors are very similar,I like both scopes.

I'd go with NX8 out of those two options. I've owned both scopes also. I like the leupold reticle better, but choose the NF durability over anything.

Spending more on an optic than a rifle isn't necessarily a blanket statement. I've been through my share of scopes also. But my guns are around $5000 and they have $1400 trijicon tenmiles on them. I could afford any optic on the market. But I want a durable scope, with repeatable tracking, good FFP reticle for hunting, good glass, and good scope functions. They seem to provide all that, and just happen to land at $1400, or $1100 on sale.

I have both. Feature wise, reticle, and ease of use hands down go to Leupold. I think the pr-1 ffp reticle is the best I've ever use for a hunting reticle. My buddies and I jumped on board a couple years ago and they worked great at first, but now we are having issue with the scope holding zero. Everything is torqued down on the rifle and scope with indicator marks so I know nothing has moved. It is definitely worse with the 5-25 model versus the 3.6-18, but it's still an issue. They seem to handle recoil just fine. What seems to kill them is lots of off-road driving. Its not enough zero shift to miss a deer out to 300 yards, but beyond that it's enough to cause a miss or bad gut shot. Every trip to the range the scope has to be re-zeroed by a couple inches.

Because of that I'm switching completely over to Nightforce. The Nightforce glass is good, the eye box is good, and the reticle is good. The durability is fantastic. My biggest gripe with Nightforce is their reticles. The way they do the offset hashes makes them slower to count bars when holding wind. Also most of their decent reticles with center dots have Christmas trees which I don't love. I think the moa-xt is probably their best ffp moa reticle right now. If they would design a good reticle, I don't think Leupold would get another look. All that said, the Nightforce reticle is usable and you get used to it. If you use the two scopes side by side my guess is you would want the Leupold. That's how I was too, but I'd recommend the Nightforce. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good your glass is or nice the features are, if the scope doesn't hold zero it's worthless.

The 4-32 nx8 is also only slightly heavier. If the compact nature of the optic isn't something your after I'd go with the 4-32 over the 2.5-20.
I hear you on the center dots but having to contend with the Christmas tree. I am a deer hunter first and I like a clean, non-busy reticle for hunting. I do have an ATCAR 5-25x56 with the regular MOAR reticle and I like it (though it is a bit heavy). However, I have 2 Trijicon Tenmile HX's in 5-25x50 that are regular MOAR reticles with small center dots and I absolutely love them for deer hunting.
I agree with your advice if you are going to get a NF NX8 that you might as well get the 4-32x50. I am actually considering that scope for my next build.

have you looked or considered Ziess ?
my dad has the NX8 on his gun and I have a Ziess conquest v4 both are awesome and obviously the NX8 is a first focal scope and the V4 is a second focal plane so that will probably affect your decision.
but that being said I really like the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24 series.
they are awsome Scopes and side by side the glass seems a little better than the nx8
I have several Ziess optics and they are definitely a option to consider.

I'd go with NX8 out of those two options. I've owned both scopes also. I like the leupold reticle better, but choose the NF durability over anything.

Spending more on an optic than a rifle isn't necessarily a blanket statement. I've been through my share of scopes also. But my guns are around $5000 and they have $1400 trijicon tenmiles on them. I could afford any optic on the market. But I want a durable scope, with repeatable tracking, good FFP reticle for hunting, good glass, and good scope functions. They seem to provide all that, and just happen to land at $1400, or $1100 on sale.
Excellent choice on the Trijicon Tenmile scope. I have (2) Trijicon Tenmile HX's 5-25x50 and I absolutely love them for deer hunting. I don't have any $5,000 bolt guns which is why I used the example earlier with the gentleman that based on the value of my bolt guns, the cost of my glass worked out to 1 to 1.5x the value of my rifles. My comment was not intended to be a blanket statement because it all depends on the values of your rifles so it would be foolish to have a hard and fast rule. I just know what it worked out for me. Like you, I could probably get any scope I wanted; however I have been very impressed with my Trijicon Tenmile HX's as they suit my deer hunting needs very well.

have you looked or considered Ziess ?
my dad has the NX8 on his gun and I have a Ziess conquest v4 both are awesome and obviously the NX8 is a first focal scope and the V4 is a second focal plane so that will probably affect your decision.
but that being said I really like the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24 series.
they are awsome Scopes and side by side the glass seems a little better than the nx8
I have several Ziess optics and they are definitely an option to consider.
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I just picked up a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 from Midway on sale for $800 and I am very happy with this optic. Although I prefer the center dot (like my Trijicons have) I LOVE this Zeiss so far. I have it mounted on a Benelli Lupo 6.5 PRC and it is a tack driver.

Recent Posts