What the best hand held GPS

I have been using Garmin Rinos. With them, I can communicate with my partners as well as keep track of their locations.
I have been looking into a new GPS and I like the idea of knowing where you partners are.... do you need a subscription or contract to be able to text/communicate between devices? How do they sync with each other?

No subscription needed. They are walkie talkies that communicate with each other as long as they are tuned to the same channel and synced to each other. They also have built in compasses and have many good features. They also have a program called base camp that can also keep track of the radios. All information on the radios can be downloaded to your computer so retain all your tracks and waypoints. Go to Garmin's web site and study them. You may also be able to down load the manuals.

Like most (non-repeater) radios, the Rino series does best with flat open terrain. The Rino series does offer the opportunity to use as GMRS duplex (using a repeater to extend coverage - requires FCC license) however, finding a tower in your area that covers the already installed frequency range can be another story. It also has the FRS channels plumbed.
Sync is done by "Polling location" and can only be done every 30 seconds.
Battery life is good and you can get an external AA battery pack (but will operate on lower power setting).
Depending on cell coverage in the areas you hunt in, you may consider an app that lets you share your location with another user.
I've been using for about 5ish years and am looking for a more reliable radio solution (hunting in rolling oak savanah type hills - coverage is only so so).

My old Rino 530HCx can be used with repeaters. Several of the newer ones can do it too but I don't know which of the current line can operate on repeaters.

Thanks. A couple of questions.
Is it possible to create a destination without going to the destination in any Garmin product. For instance if there were younger inexperienced hunters in the group and you wanted to do a drive to them, could you put a location in the GPS for them to go to?
Next, If you are using a Rino, will you see other hunters in the area if they are also using a Rino?
Thanks again!

Thanks. A couple of questions.
Is it possible to create a destination without going to the destination in any Garmin product. For instance if there were younger inexperienced hunters in the group and you wanted to do a drive to them, could you put a location in the GPS for them to go to?
Next, If you are using a Rino, will you see other hunters in the area if they are also using a Rino?
Thanks again!
Yes. You can program waypoints into the Rino and game them. I've only done that by programming them when I build a map on the PC and transferring them to the radio, but you might be able to do it in the pan mode.
You can see other hunters that are using Rinos if you pair up with them and are on the same frequency.
I think that you can down load the manuals from the Garmin website and that will explain all the functions.

Yes. You can program waypoints into the Rino and game them. I've only done that by programming them when I build a map on the PC and transferring them to the radio, but you might be able to do it in the pan mode.
You can see other hunters that are using Rinos if you pair up with them and are on the same frequency.
I think that you can down load the manuals from the Garmin website and that will explain all the functions.
You could also program multiple way points if you wanted them to follow a particular route to that point.

With Garmin, you can project a waypoint / marker by (from the Garmin manual):
  1. From the home screen, select Waypoint Manager.
  2. Select a waypoint.
  3. Select
    Menu
    > Project Waypoint.
  4. Enter the bearing, and select Done.
  5. Select a unit of measure.
  6. Enter the distance, and select Done.
  7. Select Save.
You can also edit the coordinates to enter the coordinates of a known / desired location and then GOTO that location.

I know there are ways like @arch408 suggests to enter on a PC or Mac using BaseCamp software (free from Garmin) as well.

I went with the Gaia GPS app on my iPhone and can plan trips, set destinations on my iPad also. Multiple maps available. When you get coverage it uploads to the web and shares with all devices. You can download the maps you want ahead of time (subscription) if there is no coverage. Waypoints, etc. are covered. Since I carry a mophie and cellphone anyway, no extra weight and I don't run out of power. For GPS, I use a Dual Electronics GPS receiver with WAAS. It weighs 1.7 oz and I attach it to my pack.

That being said, Garmin makes great products.

It's time for me to make a decision.... Is there a good reason not to get a Rino over a garmin 62 or 64?

Bob, Based on SBfireman's input, Rino pairs failure to communicate where I hunt in Idaho, and my use of my Garmin 64ST, I strongly endorse the 64ST. RR

I appreciate your opinion, but I am set on buying a dedicated GPS. I am trying to decide between a Garmin 64 or similar vs a Rino. I like the fact that the Rino's can communicate with each other for one and since we have a young hunter in the group, I like the fact that I can somehow add a waypoint in a rino and have him go to it. Just rying to figure out if there is a reason not to buy the Rino.
Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.