What the best hand held GPS

Bob, Based on SBfireman's input, Rino pairs failure to communicate where I hunt in Idaho, and my use of my Garmin 64ST, I strongly endorse the 64ST. RR

I am re-reading the thread and I agree. I am leaning away from the Rino... It seems like a good unit, with good features but where I hunt, cell service is non existant so I am unsure of how well it will communicate with others.
What do you really like about the ST vs others?
Thanks

I am re-reading the thread and I agree. I am leaning away from the Rino... It seems like a good unit, with good features but where I hunt, cell service is non existant so I am unsure of how well it will communicate with others.
What do you really like about the ST vs others?
Thanks
The Garmin Rino séries communicate over the FRS/GMRS system which is a walkie talkie "Family Radio Service." Hence, cell phone coverage is not necessary. My buddies and I use FRS radios to communicate, but hunting the forests and mountains limits their use. I believe that new Rino models will only come with the GMRS system, and there is a fee(s) to own and use FMRS communication devices.
I like my 64ST because it is/has:
User friendly
A good display
Is keyboard operated ( I sold my Garmin Montana 600 touchscreen because I would need to remove my gloves)
the GLONASS satellite system increases satellite coverage.
It communicates with my cellphone via Bluetooth to share maps, overlays
The T stands for topographic ability. I generally turn this off when I'm backtracking, but I do use the topo feature to determine a hill's steepness and what is on the other side of a hill.
There should be reviews online of specific models for you to compare them. Plus, there are How to vidéos on YouTube.
RR

bobinpa, good advice in this thread re the Rino and other dedicated handheld devices. In the past when I was considering the same, it came down to whether everyone in my party would also have a Rino so as to take full advantage of the see-them-on-the-map feature. My hunting partners were not game to take the plunge, so I didn't either. Your situation may differ.

I've gone the route of mobile phone GPS and have a question:
I went with the Gaia GPS app on my iPhone and can plan trips, set destinations on my iPad also. ... For GPS, I use a Dual Electronics GPS receiver with WAAS. It weighs 1.7 oz and I attach it to my pack.

jdavistx: I get reasonable GPS signal using my phone alone, though not perfect. I'm curious to hear how you feel the DUAL GPS receiver has helped you out when hiking. I like the light weight, but how much more function are you getting for the added cost? Thanks in advance.

bobinpa, good advice in this thread re the Rino and other dedicated handheld devices. In the past when I was considering the same, it came down to whether everyone in my party would also have a Rino so as to take full advantage of the see-them-on-the-map feature. My hunting partners were not game to take the plunge, so I didn't either. Your situation may differ.

I've gone the route of mobile phone GPS and have a question:

jdavistx: I get reasonable GPS signal using my phone alone, though not perfect. I'm curious to hear how you feel the DUAL GPS receiver has helped you out when hiking. I like the light weight, but how much more function are you getting for the added cost? Thanks in advance.
I agree, there is a lot of good info here....

The Garmin Rino séries communicate over the FRS/GMRS system which is a walkie talkie "Family Radio Service." Hence, cell phone coverage is not necessary. My buddies and I use FRS radios to communicate, but hunting the forests and mountains limits their use. I believe that new Rino models will only come with the GMRS system, and there is a fee(s) to own and use FMRS communication devices.
I like my 64ST because it is/has:
User friendly
A good display
Is keyboard operated ( I sold my Garmin Montana 600 touchscreen because I would need to remove my gloves)
the GLONASS satellite system increases satellite coverage.
It communicates with my cellphone via Bluetooth to share maps, overlays
The T stands for topographic ability. I generally turn this off when I'm backtracking, but I do use the topo feature to determine a hill's steepness and what is on the other side of a hill.
There should be reviews online of specific models for you to compare them. Plus, there are How to vidéos on YouTube.
RR
Thanks for the info and advice! If you were buying it today would you stick with the 64ST or go with the newer version 66ST?

Thanks for the info and advice! If you were buying it today would you stick with the 64ST or go with the newer version 66ST?
I'd go with the 66ST. Some Garmin "new" models don't change much. But the 66ST is definitely an upgrade: higher resolution and some new features that I have to research. Be sure to practice. I do a few foothills hikes around Boise just to refresh myself so that it's a 'Just Do It' use when hunting. Cheers 🍻

PS Here is a review on the 66ST, an Editor's Choice https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/handheld-gps/garmin-gpsmap-66st

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.