GPS Watches

nateisw

Anyone tried to replace their handheld GPS with a GPS watch like a Suunto or Garmin? This topic hasn't been visited in a few years here as far as I can tell based on my search. I want to buy a GPS unit, but don't want to carry another "gadget" with me in the field. I have a decent app on my smartphone, but I don't think it is as good as a real handheld GPS unit. I wear a G-Shock watch anyways so replacing with a smart watch wouldn't be any extra burden. Seems like GPS watches are getting close, but can't quite replace a handheld. What do you guys think? I think if I wait a year or 2 I will probably be able to get a watch that does most of what today's handheld units can do. Worth waiting?

Look into the Garmin Foretrex. For hunting and hiking I'd say it's got to be one of the best choices.

I've been very interested in this topic as well. I've been looking at possibly getting the Sunnto Traverse alpha But I'm just not sure about it. I haven't seen any reviews about it yet I'd prefer to get someones opinion of it that has actually used it in adverse real world conditions instead of just going by what the manufactures brag about what it can do. Suunto Traverse Alpha Foliage

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.