Whats the best map chip for garmin?

mullmann,

The Garmin 24K topo maps DO NOT depict accurate public and private property boundaries. They show generalized national forest boundaries, which can very easily lead you into private land which could result in $100+ fines.

If you are at all concerned with where the actual public and private land boundaries are, the Hunting GPS Maps chip is the only way to go.

We also now have regional maps that cover 3 or more states, but they don't show the private land owner names like our Premium maps do.

I hope this helps you decide.

Last edited:
The Garmin 24K topo maps DO NOT depict accurate public and private property boundaries. They show generalized national forest boundaries, which can very easily lead you into private land which could result in $100+ fines.

If you are at all concerned with where the actual public and private land boundaries are, the Hunting GPS Maps chip is the only way to go.

We also now have regional maps that cover 3 or more states, but they don't show the private land owner names like our Premium maps do.

I hope this helps you decide.

***Yep, and that's why I stated I would only use the 24K map if I was in a big public area where there is no worry about getting close to private property. One trespassing ticket will buy two or three of the chips!!! MY Wyoming buddy just bought several chips for hunts I'm going on to help him in NV, OR, and NM. It's too bad he had ordered and received them all before I told him about the promo on this site!

I plan on buying a hunting gps map chip from THIS site, but I've visited the manufacturer's site as well as the LRH Store, and I have questions:
1. Isn't there a "downloadable version"? Don't see it offered in LRH store. What are the advantages of this version? Will it allow the thing to be loaded onto multiple units? Is it not available in the LRH store or did I miss it?
2. What's the difference between the 2 products offered in the LRH store? It appears one of them has landowner names and the other doesn't, but they're the same price. Can someone explain?
3. At the manufacturer's site, there is a "premium" and a regular version and a "regional" chip - regional chip sounds good but doesn't pair the states (WY and CO) that I'd be interested in. And I think the regional chip doesn't have landowner names?

I guess I'm just looking for some clarification before I buy. I want the product that will be most useful. Thanks for any input.
Will

Just a simple question and that is why it's so important for you to have the names of the land owners? Is it so you can ask them to hunt their property as that's the only reason I can think of? If that's the case, you can always go to the Register of Deeds at the County Seat and get all that information. I did that for the county I hunt in Wyoming a number of years ago before these GPS chips were available. For a few bucks the lady put together copies of maps showing who owned what on the entire east side of the county. That's why I bought the chip last year that only shows property boundaries and not the owners.

Hey there TopGun....One reason I can think of out here in NM is some ranches have unit wide private tags instead of ranch only tags. That means that anyone drawn on the public draw can hunt their land. Now try to find out where that ranch is when the contact info is in Albuquerque and the ranch is not well marked on BLM or Forest service maps. Yes they respond real well when they find out you drew a public tag and want to hunt their ranch. It sure would help to have one of those chips that listed the name of the ranch and contact info since you can not get it from G&F and some of our units cover three or four counties so you would have to pay, an administrative fee, for the information from three or four county seats. Besides ownership could change from year to year where they could change the name of the ranch, which may not show up on maps for years, and sign up with G&F for unit wide tags. The chips could save a lot of time if you could update them regularly.

I am new at this and I have a Garmin ETrex30. Can I put a chip into this unit? If so where is the slot? Also I have gone to the LRH store site and there are two chips to consider. Which one do I need for Colorado? I apologize for dumb questions but someone has to ask the obvious.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.