What talents do you have...

Livetohunt....do you have a tv hunting show? Cody and wife....
The metal art is really nice...

Theres a tv show on these days I think it is called "Why Planes Crash"....
I believe they determined....it is because the hit the surface of the earth......eventually even thing does....after a hike up a big mountain so does my butt......

Jack of all trades-master of none!
Built AR's and AK-47 and 74's...One AK on a 80% receiver. No mill, no lathe and no drill press. I did use a wire feed weld to spot weld the rails inside the receiver. Bulk of the work was done with a cordless hand drill, drimel and files.

Receiver_2-19.jpg

AK-sm.jpg

I will have to get the finished project photo off my phone later...

I've done a few bolt guns as well...my M48 mauser has the most hand work done on it. The bolt handle is the original bolt with a tactical bolt knob on it. I made the bottom metal from a long action mauser, cut and welded back together. I hand head spaced a short chamber barrel and did all the wood work on a Richards MicroFit stock.

308_sm.jpg

Also did all the stock work on a couple mauser with Mesquite stocks from a tree I cut down.

Mesquite-guns2-04.JPG

Piddled in taxidermy too...

Red_Snapper.JPG

Eastern_Turkey.JPG

That's my first eastern turkey killed on public land in east texas!

20171220_145400.jpg

Wife buck from this year drying...

20170408_220048.jpg

I built/welded together my boat shed that holds my 25' offshore boat..without a drawing...just did it on the fly! Also just about finished a 14'X62' porch on the house...includes wiring celling fans and lighting...also shingled the roof.

Bus mechanic by trade 41 years and counting!

Last edited:
Theres a tv show on these days I think it is called "Why Planes Crash"....
I believe they determined....it is because the hit the surface of the earth..........

When you drive a Super Cub professionally in Alaska, the places your expected to land....it is generally a semi-controlled crash to differing degrees.

Hey AGL4...glad to see your humor....
On a trip up to AK 20 years ago..guy tried to talk me into short trip in a cub......one look was all it took....NO THX....had too much baling wire for me....I try to limit myself to how many times I endanger my own life with my own stupidity.......DONT NEED HELP ON THAT.......

257tony....you have a talent if those guys are a pain in butt...
Guiding guys( and ladies) on fishing trips was for the most part all about fun....I had no doubts about being able to get a bite....if only the people could cast 20' of line....the rest was up to me....
One season if found a cool way to fish a narrow tree laden stretch of water....(fishing from a driftboat)...good baits on the hook..a,heavier than normal weight(@3/8 oz)...put eight feet of mainline out the top guide...set the drag for no release...set the line in the water and glide thru the small area without any noise..holding the rod tip within 12" of the rivers surface.....you knew you had a bite when half of the rod was jerked into the water...and with tree limbs in the water everywhere and no line coming off the spool you better get that,fish close enough to net within seconds....otherwise its gone..one way or another........60 year old men giggling.....thats what kept me guiding...it sure wasnt the money.....well maybe it was the dinners at the Mexican restaurant and blackberry margaritas..muygrande(S)...

That's a nice bear for first time.....my saw just rips wood chips...most of my pieces look like the piece that it is standing on...
I don't knkw how many wood carving competitions there are out about your area...but in Reedsport Oregon they have a competition every year....there are some extremely talented chainsaw artist go to it.....see if you can find info about it on the web....

That's a nice bear for first time.....my saw just rips wood chips...most of my pieces look like the piece that it is standing on...
I don't knkw how many wood carving competitions there are out about your area...but in Reedsport Oregon they have a competition every year....there are some extremely talented chainsaw artist go to it.....see if you can find info about it on the web....
Thanks for the kind words. I agree there are AMAZING artists out there. It's unbelievable.

I use to box competively. I have 30 fights. This was one of my first fights in college. I made it to the collegiate national title every year...never won the title though :mad:

I'm myers, the guy who wins :D

Also, I jump out of airplanes, bc Uncle Sam says so, not because I want to. I'm also really good with explosives. Sappers lead the way!

I stopped boxing bc I'm not smart and I didn't want to get any dumber. Other hobbies I have are running and lifting. I was on the fort Hood ten miler team, but stopped once I deployed in 2012. I'm trying to find the balance between being strong but running fast. As soon as I get good at one the other dips significantly.

My wife and I also own our own business (like 95% her) I just provide the muscle to move crap on the weekends when I'm home. She's super artistically and musically gifted.

http://www.sovintagega.com/

I'm not sure any of that crap I mentioned is a talent. It's just stuff I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I that's definitrly not my TV show. That was my first time heat coloring steel and I just randomly decided a hap-hazard pattern with a disc grinder might look nice.

Gentlemen...this is a fun way to learn a little about each of us...I am reading these to my wife and son...and laughing....great times...
Now the fish mount question...
I bought the reproductions(steelhead around $250..bass around $175)...set the heads and fins and eyes($12 set)..so with shipping I was in the hole about $300 per piece...bondo head on and apply material to fill holes in body, sand it and prep for paint...about 2-3 hours labor...airbrush base colors(lacquer) to repro..and with almost each color there was a clearcoat added(between 3 & 6 hours)..once it passed my inspection it went to the house..."first" detail work of almost every scale(scales painted with a water based acrylic)(at first it took about 40 hours, eventually i widdled it down to 20)...then back to shop for light mist paint and clearcoat(1 hour)..back to house to second detail the scales...(1 hour)..back to shop for final clearcoats(1 hour)....somewhere around 40 hours or so per fish...
AND...if the final clearcoats wash off all the paints...i spend four hours of cleaning the entire reproduction and start over.....
Here's another a group of guys ordered for their buddy for a surprise...he had caught one like it on the North Umpqua the season before.....View attachment 89893 View attachment 89894
A fish mount is only as good as the paint job done on it. I think your an artist! Good job!