What setup for a beginner reloader

KSB209

Been shopping around for a good setup for reloading. What do you all use? I really don't need anything for pistol rounds just interested in rifle.

A couple local shops have the Hornady lock n load and the Lee kits. Any pros or cons on these? What about the RCBS?

Been reading reviews on the Hornady and along with a ton of positive reviews there seem to be a bunch of negative reviews with things breaking.

Since I believe many of you reload what would you suggest for a guy that has never done it? Also what are your favorite books for knowledge and info? Seems to be Hornady has apretty good book from what I have been told. Almost like the Bible for reloaders

Step One:
Decide if you will be reloading for hunting or target competition purposes. Reloading for hunting is usually less finicky than what you might accept for hunting. For example, if you can hit an eight inch target at 500 yards that's good enough for hunting but It won't make the grade for competition target shooting.
Step Two:
Start an outline that includes a prioritized list of what you actually need to get started.
Brass
Bullets
Powder
Primers
Loading press (rotary or single stage) I'd recommend single stage. They're stronger, generally more accurate and less expensive.
Dies for the caliber of your rifle:
Full length sizing die
Neck sizing die (*)
Good set of calipers
Bullet seating die
Some prefer one brand over the other. I use RCBS and Redding and I'm happy with the end products of those two brands.
Primer seating tool. No need to pay a bundle for it. This one does everything you need:
https://1shotgear.com/km-precision-shooting-products/km-shooting-primer-seater-tool-deluxe
Collet style bullet puller. Sooner or later you'll need to pull a bullet. May as well have one on hand. RCBS makes a nice one.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/pr...tml?google=1&gclid=CP2XptCu1cECFQqFfgodMxsANQ
Case cleaning vibratory tumbler and media necessary to make it work. Cabelas has one at a good price that does a good job: Cabela's Model 400 Vibratory Case Tumbler :Cabela's
Media and polish:
Cabela's Corn Cob Media and Brass Case Polish Combo : Cabela's
Case neck cleaning brushes (rifle bore brushes work just fine)
Note: When you purchase brushes, always make sure they're bronze wire core brushes. Avoid steel core brushes at all cost.
Hornady OAL gauge and appropriate modified case:
Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action
Powder measure/scale (beam or digital) I like the RCBS chargemaster but a good beam balance scale will work just fine.
Something like the Chargemaster will measure and weigh the charge for you, otherwise - with a beam scale - you'll need a powder measure to throw a charge.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/rcbs-10...c&adid=29963&gclid=CIaSo66v1cECFdKIfgod62QAlQ
Powder trickler
http://www.basspro.com/RCBSPowder-T...productextensions&kpid=10212869&kpid=10212869
Powder funnel
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/pr...tml?google=1&gclid=CLCw--Wv1cECFVKUfgodcIAASw
Reading and reference material
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FBFW6U/?tag=lrhmag19-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0896896099/?tag=lrhmag19-20
(*) Neck sizing die isn't essential if you intend to use the neck sizing button that's included with just about every full length sizing die I've seen. But if you're going to be anal about accuracy a neck sizing dies (bushing die - Redding type S) is worth the price.

Last edited:
How's your budget ? I got into reloading when I was 14 and got my first lee handloader for 12 gauge shotshells and soon after I started loading my own 30/06 ammo with Lee hand loading equipment and I'm still spending money after 37 years of loading my own ammo for hunting and benchrest shooting . I don't have any of the cheap lee equipment anymore , it just didn't last and or was inaccurate loading and or a very slow process. If your gonna shoot competitively then get good equipment once, but if your gonna load just for hunting then you could spend less on your reloading equipment and learn a lot. I own mostly RCBS equipment now and still have it after 30 plus years of loading with it. Have you looked at the Dillon Progressive press ? As I have a 550B Dillon that works very well if you only want to load a few calibers.

Budget...well I aint broke but sure not rich either. My desire to get into reloading is mainly for saving money on magnum type loads. Seems to me once you buy everything you will be into it $400-$500'ish. That can buy a lot of factory ammo!

My goal is to start shooting long range and maybe one day reach out to 1k. From what I have read and understand the only way to be consistent at that range is to reload but you also seem to have to be pretty skilled to reload (and shoot) to reach out 1k too.

Well its a little more than that $400-$500 unless your buying some used Equip, A press like a rockchucker will run $125+ Shellholders $7 each, Scale : I went with the chargemaster combo $340 or a balance beam scale for $75-$100, Dies $35each+ Bullet comparator and inserts $59+ , Calipers $50+ , Micrometer$59+, Cleaning primer pockets tools and or case prep center $150 Trimmer and collets and pilots $100 A tumbler will polish your brass $70 Your gonna need more than think , Get a manual and sit and read it and anything you can find on reloading and the tools you will need, this is not a cheap hobby as I sit and wonder what I could have done with the money that I spent over the years throwing lead and copper down range . Then it only gets worse when you start building guns and trying different things to get them to shoot.. Over k's invested an still buying stuff, There's so much stuff that I couldn't list it all in a few minutes, do you have a friend that reloads ?
All I think about is Bullets, Brass, Primers, Powder, and getting to shoot, I'm in too deep now but its not too late for you.....lightbulb A 6BR would be a good starting point.

Two biggest advantages of reloading in my mind are that you can tailor the load to the gun and the game (my handholds shoot better in my guns than factory loads and I can load the bullet I want), and you can shoot more for the same cost. A little like catching a big fish with a fly you tied.

The Rock Chucker Supreme kit trebark linked is a good start. Add in some dies, powder, primers, brass, and you are pretty much good to go. If you have no experienced reloading, find a friend or check around for clubs/groups to help get you started. While reloading is actually a safe endeavor, there are risks involved if you do not pay attention.

I use and like RCBS equipment and Forster dies. Always get good results using this combo. I got tired of throwing and weighing every charge and now use a RCBS Chargemaster combo. If you stay with the basics and/or pick up stuff on sale or used, you should be pretty close to your budget.

When you are ready for some long range shooting, come out to Sac Valley in Ione. There is a 1k range you can use when shooting with one of the clubs that has access. Public range out to 300 as well. Best range around and not too far from Stockton.

Just buy the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit and dies/she'll holder. After that all you need it the bullets brass primers and powder. The scale is not the greatest but it works fine. As for the rest of the gear it's pretty top notch!

Just buy the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit and dies/she'll holder. After that all you need it the bullets brass primers and powder. The scale is not the greatest but it works fine. As for the rest of the gear it's pretty top notch!

I agree with this, even tho I own a Lee Classic cast press. I started on an old wore out Hornaday Pacific press. Early this year I got my cousin started in reloading, he bought the Rock Chucker Supreme kit. It is strong, builds accurate ammo, and is a good value.I do not care for the powder trickler and the scale, even tho they will do the job. ... Just curious how far does $500.00 go on .300 RUM factory ammo or the likes these days? gun)

Here's an opinion from a long-range-shooter-wannabe

Be brutally honest with yourself right now. Long range shooting/reloading (500 to 1000 yards) is easily as expensive and time consuming as golf. Do you have lots of free time? Do you have lots of cash? If so, buy the really good stuff upfront. Why? Because you'll wind up buying it all over again if you are serious about 1k shooting.

Even if you already have your rifle, this is a really good read
Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

If you don't have lots of free time and money, go for 300 yards. Its really tough to shoot farther than 300 yards with a cheap scope.

Here's what I use, and I really doubt I would get 1k accuracy from this setup.
  1. Lee Breech lock press
  2. Lee dies (buy the full set w/neck sizer)
  3. Hornady electric powder scale and dispenser (BIG time saver)
  4. Lyman VLD neck chamfer
  5. Lee case length trimmer and cutting block
  6. Lyman flashhole trimmer/cleaner
  7. very fine steel wool shoved into a socket and attached to a drill to smooth rough edges off case necks after trimming to length
  8. Imperial neck and case lube
  9. Frankfurt arsenal case tumbler
  10. walnut shell media from pet store (cheaper than cabelas)
  11. electric micrometer from amazon (the cheap ones have worked fine for me)
  12. cartridge tray

Here's an opinion from a long-range-shooter-wannabe

Be brutally honest with yourself right now. Long range shooting/reloading (500 to 1000 yards) is easily as expensive and time consuming as golf. Do you have lots of free time? Do you have lots of cash? If so, buy the really good stuff upfront. Why? Because you'll wind up buying it all over again if you are serious about 1k shooting.

Even if you already have your rifle, this is a really good read
Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

If you don't have lots of free time and money, go for 300 yards. Its really tough to shoot farther than 300 yards with a cheap scope.

Here's what I use, and I really doubt I would get 1k accuracy from this setup.
  1. Lee Breech lock press
  2. Lee dies (buy the full set w/neck sizer)
  3. Hornady electric powder scale and dispenser (BIG time saver)
  4. Lyman VLD neck chamfer
  5. Lee case length trimmer and cutting block
  6. Lyman flashhole trimmer/cleaner
  7. very fine steel wool shoved into a socket and attached to a drill to smooth rough edges off case necks after trimming to length
  8. Imperial neck and case lube
  9. Frankfurt arsenal case tumbler
  10. walnut shell media from pet store (cheaper than cabelas)
  11. electric micrometer from amazon (the cheap ones have worked fine for me)
  12. cartridge tray

Only one problem with going cheap is you will have a hard time being consistant with loading ammo and shooting it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.