What rifle should i get from this list

mioduz

My best attempt to keep this short

I'm an active shooter in PRS, and have booked a hunt for my dad and I to go white tail in SD (rifle)

Although I'm an avid bow hunter in pa, I rarely hunt rifle and if I so it's from my archery stands where a 100y rifle shot is pushing it for my shooting lanes.

I have chambered several rifles and my favorite for prs style is 6.5cm but it's incredibly heavy.

I wanted to dip my toes into 6.5 prc but felt with the time remaining till hunt (nov) developing a whole new load regiment for a new caliber in a dictionary to purchasing all the setup did not warrant the modest velocity increase I would see over 6.5 cm.

I need a huntable rifle in 6.5 cm. I like to be in a semi premium platform, and I'd prefer to spend no more than $2k (also I am a dealer so my pricing might be slightly better than retail on some guns)

Options and pros and cons:

Sig cross: this will give me the most similar feel to what I shoot in prs, but the 18" barrel scares me for ballistics a bit. Price is great as it's the cheapest on my list. Also aluminum will be cold in SD November

Bergara crest premium: really I'm open to anything in the bergara premium lineup under 2k. The crest doesn't have an adjustable cheak comb which kinda sucks.....I think

Springfield waypoint: sounds like a great rifle, but is tipping thr scales with the cf barrel at the top end of price point. Do I really want to invest that much in a rifle I possibly do not use much after....

Finally the potentially scariest option
Aero solus action, ideally cf barrel, and lightweight chassis like hnt26. This is definitely going over my top end price, but I do love saying that I chambered a good shooting rifle. But the aero receiver is completely new and relatively untested.

Things I will NOT consider: 7 prc (I want one but that caliber is a mess right now with christiansen and honady pointing fingers), any Christiansen,

Please let me knownyour thoughts and how stupid some of my ideas are

I really like the Waypoint but in your case I would be all over the Sig Cross. I think that's a great rifle and if your shooting from your tree stands and 100 yds is the distance I would never be afraid of the short barrel. A lot of guys are shooting that out to a lot more distance.

I really like the Waypoint but in your case I would be all over the Sig Cross. I think that's a great rifle and if your shooting from your tree stands and 100 yds is the distance I would never be afraid of the short barrel. A lot of guys are shooting that out to a lot more distance.
Thanks for your feedback, but I think you missed the point in my overly long drawn out post. The rifles I have now are all set for shorter distance hunting, and I'm trying to equip for SD hunt. I'm told to be prepared to kill an animal at 500y, but ideally 300y

I apologize, missed that. I would still look at the Sig but the Waypoint in 6.5PRC may be the better option. Whitetails at 3-500 with a good bullet shouldn't be a problem with any of them. Of factory rifles those are the 2 that I think would be first on my list but I just dont go out west anymore and I like to build my own rifles anyway. The Waypoint with steel barrel is 7lbs 6oz and carbon is 6lbs 14oz. At gun shows I have seen the Sig for $1400 and the Waypoint from $1500 on up but $17-1900 many times depending on caliber. I have a buddy in another state and we always talk about those 2 rifles.

Personally I like your last option. Yes it's over what you wanted to spend but you know it will shoot how you expect it too

Use your prs rig imo. If not, buy a seekins havak. My 2c.
I want to and as training I took it ground hog hunting. It was a bear to lug through the fields for a day. I can't imagine hucking 23lbs around for a week.

I know it's not on your list, but it's hard to not at least consider a Tikka as a possibility.
I know they make some great rifles, but I am heavily invested in stuff that fits a 700 platform. And when I looked I wasn't totally in love with the stocks that where in my price range. I Def prefer a more vertical grip and stear away from traditional stocks. This is probably a takeaway from my prs shooting

I have hunted SD west river almost every year for the last 20 years. The creed is a fine choice. I would go with the Waypoint. A good compromise between weight and shoot-ability. the BSF barrels are pretty impressive IMO. Also, it should be pretty easy to get most of your cash back if you don't want to keep it after this hunt. There is some very diverse terrain out there and you can put on some miles. You may also have some climbing to do. A couple of the zones we have hunted have some pretty rough country. You will have great time. Most of the folks out there are very nice and starting Thanksgiving week you will see deer chasing and cruising like crazy. Bring extra ammo, if you get a warm week you'll have p-dogs up and they are like potatoe chips, you can't stop at just one.

Definitely consider a tikka. You have the option to swap barrels/bolt stops and have a short or long action caliber setup. You could even buy an extra bolt and have further versatility. Not to mention they are shooters for sure with plenty of aftermarket.