Long range shot. Should I and should I not?

The Grendel does not have enough starting velocity for the 300y shot. shoot the 30cal. The last 308win that we worked with was with our 152g Hammer Hunter right at 3000fps. Zeroed at 300 yards would be a deer wrecker minus the meat damage of conventional bullets.

Steve
Steve the Hammer bullets definitely look interesting and I would like to pick some up to play with but due to time constraints I am either going to have to go with one of the loads I have already worked out and know their characteristics or have to go with a factory load and buy a few boxes to zero the scope and practice with. Do you have any loads worked up that I could use as a starting point if I purchase some?

Steve the Hammer bullets definitely look interesting and I would like to pick some up to play with but due to time constraints I am either going to have to go with one of the loads I have already worked out and know their characteristics or have to go with a factory load and buy a few boxes to zero the scope and practice with. Do you have any loads worked up that I could use as a starting point if I purchase some?
Yes Sir we can certainly give you a good start point for your work up. What size bullet do you prefer?

Steve

In answer to the question, there would be no doubt you are capable
of making that and even a longer shot with either of the guns you have.
Notice that most responding are referencing the shooting aspect of it all.
My suggestion, and that of I dare say (any) experienced PA long range hunter would be to have a spotter buddy observing when you shoot.
At that distance especially, the bullet arrives on target so quickly that
you might not know for sure what happened, but the spotter will know.
And should the deer run off after being hit, he can stay on it where you probably wont, and you might not know for sure if it was hit at all.
He can also direct you right to the deer afterward rather than you trying to locate it alone. Fact is if he's younger, you can direct him.
Sounds to me as if you might have a gold mine there.
Be prepared to shoot before you need to shoot except for chambering
the round, and don't hesitate to cheat by using a bench.

My bad sorry. I was not paying attention to which 6.5 you have. I was seeing Grendel and my brain was registering Creedmoor. As has been said the Grendel will not have enough velocity for reliable expansion. Go with the 308 Win. and if you have your doubts about the 125 BT then go with the 150 BT or the 155 Berger VLD Hunting. It blows baseball size exit holes. Never used any Hammer bullets myself but sounds like a good bullet also.

.....My suggestion, and that of I dare say (any) experienced PA long range hunter would be to have a spotter buddy observing when you shoot........Fact is if he's younger, you can direct him.....and don't hesitate to cheat by using a bench.

A younger, stronger partner should help resolve your recovery issues. Every old shooter should be mentoring a younger shooter.

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

Well I do believe I will be going .308. It has always been a good caliber for me. Actually I will be shooting from a rest and I will have a younger spotter who I have shot with several times for doing precision shooting a long distances.
I believe you all have been helpful and I appreciate the help. I'll be sure to take one for you all and post pictures from that trip.

In answer to the question, there would be no doubt you are capable
of making that and even a longer shot with either of the guns you have.
Notice that most responding are referencing the shooting aspect of it all.
My suggestion, and that of I dare say (any) experienced PA long range hunter would be to have a spotter buddy observing when you shoot.
At that distance especially, the bullet arrives on target so quickly that
you might not know for sure what happened, but the spotter will know.
And should the deer run off after being hit, he can stay on it where you probably wont, and you might not know for sure if it was hit at all.
He can also direct you right to the deer afterward rather than you trying to locate it alone. Fact is if he's younger, you can direct him.
Sounds to me as if you might have a gold mine there.
Be prepared to shoot before you need to shoot except for chambering
the round, and don't hesitate to cheat by using a bench.

YOBUCK I totally agree with your comment, but I assumed that when one shoots at the distances I do that it common practice to have at least one spotter. I always do! For more than just SPOTTING! When a shot is made at the distances I shoot at and attempt to shoot at I've found over the years that there are QUITE a FEW DOUBTERS OUT THERE; this is another reason I always have at least one spotter with me, usually 3 or four. They're also EYE WITNESSES and can CONFIRM my shots to all DOUBTERS! Also at extreme distances even with experience, confirmed loads, and top of the line precision equipment there is still ONE VARIABLE that NO ONE can COMPLETELY CONTROL, MOTHER NATURE! At extreme ranges my bullets may pass thru 3 or 4 or even 5 wind changes; there is NO WAY to calculate or dial in for this, not for every 1 shot, 1 kill! There are times when I have to WALK IT IN! This is where the SPOTTERS earn their keep! There's a fellow in Texas who made a Confirmed shot at 4,125 yards! He has a WHOLE TEAM of SPOTTERS, BUILDERS, LOADERS, Gunsmiths, and even a few HANGERONS! Have a nice day! Ted Smith Jr
There are 2 more that aren't in the picture; my Father the Photographer and my brother.
IseeU.jpg

Thanks for your comments re. the value of a spotter/spotters for long range hunting.
This is a subject in and of itself that is rarely if ever discussed.
Fact is the hunter/spotter using (both eyes), is actually the key to successful long range hunting, and all else follows in order of importance.

I have shot game across canyons, up mountains, down in the flats from a mountain, etc. that has taken me a while to get to after the shot. Sometimes even looking for them in the dark like my elk last month. Most people usually wait a bit after the shot to go look anyway. 330 yards, heck, even the 650 yard shot is not unheard of. Have the boat ready, shoot, go get him.

In all honesty, unless you live in CA where the lions have no fear of humans, or AK/BC where the grizzlies and browns live, no need to worry about cats or bears. I would worry more about them getting my deer if I waited until the next day than going and getting my deer with them in the woods. Or of losing the meat due to bone sour overnight.

Well after going back up to the cabin last weekend I did some scouting to check on the deer. Gun season is still 3 weeks away. Anyways I have a field up there that the hogs constantly are rooting up and every time I plant a feed crop the hogs just root up what I plant. I figured that the deer weren't frequenting the field. But twice I was out next to the field at around 8:00 am and I notice several good size does and one huge ten point Buck. they were ranging between 200 - 300 yards away and in a much easier location to access to track and retrieve should I get a runner. However last time (about 8 years ago) I hunted deer on that field I took a doe at about 150 yards and she dropped instantly. So I might get lucky and drop one without having to chase at all. Plus I'll have my wife's sisters husband and he is not a very experienced hunter or shooter and the field may prove to be an easier shot for him. I am still going to keep the lake shot open as a possibility. It is on a completely different part of the property so if I hunt the field in the morning using a suppressed .308 I should still be able to hunt around the lake later in the afternoon and have back strap for dinner that night.

Are you a lone hunter it will be nice idea to have company come over and join the hunt, pull the shot if you are confident you can
Well it looks like on this hunt I may be alone. The care taker will be on the property but he won't be hunting with me. But he'll help me if I shoot one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.