What oil is best for inside of barrels after a cleaning?

Hornady one shot ( not the case lube- the cleaner/protectant)

There was a "rust test" done a few years back with a ton of different products --- one shot came out as one of the top rust preventatives.iirc, it also has lubricating properties.
I saw that test and I was surprised.
image.jpg

Eezox is what I use, it dries and doesn't collect dust. In a test of gun oils which is on the internet Eezox scored amongst the top 3 oils they tested. It also holds up very well to salt water. Barrels that had a patch with Eezox put through them 3 or more years ago still look perfect when I look with my Hawkeye borescope.
Man, anything that will stand up to saltwater is good!

I live at the beach 1 mile from the ocean. We have salty air so rust preventative is a must Here is what I'm using after I found it.
Watch the videos. As far as long term like for years buried in the back yard Feenix had the answer cosmoline or Visqueen. I have a set of hump heads in my shed I've had put up in the 90's. They have a fresh deck lots of porting and a fresh valve job. Not a iscolored spot on them.

What oil is best in a barrel after a thorough cleaning. Please only respond if you own a borescope and have actually looked at a barrel months after oiling. Thanks
This is a loaded question for sure. First of all, if I am using a particular firearm, no matter rifle or pistol during competitive shooting I will clean the bore and not use any oil as a preservative. When cleaning and planning on long term storage things are different. The bore is scoped to determine the amount of lead or copper fouling which is then removed through the cleaning process. Once back to bare metal I generally apply a heavy coat of either Rem Oil or Hoppe's to the bore then run a clean patch through to take out the excess and leave behind a nice preservative coating. Prior to shooting after having been stored I will run several dry patches through the bore until there is no evidence of an oil coating left in the bore. Then a couple of fouling shots are taken prior to hunting or competing. I am not a fan of the new synthetic oils as preservatives for the rifle bore. They seem to have a tendency to dry out and some of the synthetic products seem to be harder to remove, sometimes taking 4 or 5 fouling shots before the firearm settles back down. In any case all firearms that are stored for more than 6 months get re-cleaned anyway.

What oil is best in a barrel after a thorough cleaning. Please only respond if you own a after cleaning borescope and have actually looked at a barrel months after oiling. Thanks

I own a bore scope, but never really took the time to look inside of the bore after cleaning and storing it. What I can tell you is that for at least fifty-years I have used a product called RIG. At an early part of my life I used to shoot a lot of corrosive 30-06 that our club received from the NRA civilian marksmanship program. I suspect that there are many readers here who have not ever had the pleasure of cleaning a rifle bore after shooting this ammunition. Military bore cleaners worked, but not that great, so it was boiling hot, soapy water a brush and a cotton swab. It was messy but effective. Now one is left with a clean barrel and lots of water everywhere. Oils were okay but not always effective. I then ran across a former Army rifle team shooter who introduced me to RIG. After the soap and water trick, RIG was applied generously onto a .30 caliber, nylon brush and the bore was then brushed as if one was cleaning the bore again, leaving a light coating of RIG on the inside of the bore. The company also makes a sheepskin cloth called a RIG rag. Smear some RIG onto the RIG rag and then wipe the outside of your firearms and leave a thin layer of this product on the outside of your firearm, it will never rust under just about any conditions. The product is sort of like a soft grease/vasoline consistency. It wipes off easily with a soft cloth, and the bore can be easily cleaned with a couple of clean patches and a jag. I've left rifles in my safe for years, heirlooms, and have never had any rust whatsoever. After any cleaning session, the last step for me is to RIG the bore and the outside of the rifle. I have caliber specific nylon brushes that I leave stored inside of tub of RIG, so when I'm done cleaning, the bores get a swabbing of RIG. I buy the product from Brownells, I purchase the the pint tub that will last me about a year. It will cost about $35-40 to get set up. I've used the same RIG rag for 30+ years now, it only gets better with age; I wish I could say the same. I've introduced this product to a lot of shooters and they have thanked me for it. The only one drawback that I find is that I would not attempt to send a round down any bore that has been swabbed without first cleaning the RIG out of the bore. But I would say the same about any of the products mentioned in the replies.

Hornady One Shot - among best rust protection & lubrication. After cleaning bore, a patch sprayed with One Shot always removes more black stuff.