What makes a 6k gun?

I don't see the difference between a stiller and a surgeon? Go to 1000 yard benchrest matches and you'll see some stiller's. Probably the best action out there is a BAT anyway. Still cheaper than a surgeon I think.

(Bat) More precise equipment, tolerances, tighter, I'd guess.

Stiller is making great actions, I bought one on the recommendation from the guy that built my stw. They are a great action at a good price. He's a pretty good 1000 yard benchrest shooter and avid long range hunter.

When all is said and done, we would all be better off to pay for a rig that's ready to shoot straight out of the box. Just eliminate the cost of the rifle and add up all the cost of bullets, powder, primers, reloading equipment, gas, wear and tear on a truck, tires, and the travel time back and forth to the range working up loads and practising. Then add your hours of labor in this process. The dollars would scare the hell out of us, but we love our big boy toys and we pay the price. Just glad my wife doesn't add up these costs:D

If a person is honestly asking without complaint. Don't I deserve an hourly rate that puts me with electricians, plumbers and auto repair shops. There are a lot of very expensive costs running unseen in the background. An example of costs: I do not make my own composite stocks and it is not at unusual to get over 1000 into them as a direct cost to me. with wood stocks the sky is not even a limiting factor for costs. I am not going to say that a 3200 dollar rifle will shoot any less than a 6000 dollar rifle but the people that are accustomed to 3200 dollar rifles and that want to move up a notch can almost smell the difference with the gun case closed. It is still a customer driven perception of needs and wants that drives the market. - besides I honestly can not think of any machining industry that has a higher value for dollar ratio!!!

I agree that load development is essential and worth paying for, especially if the smith is a pretty good shooter. I read that Kirby Allen developes the load before he ships the rifle maybe others do too. It really sounds worth the money to have that in the price. I'd definitely recommend that unless you are already a really good shooter like the benchrest guys. They typically fiddle all the time anyway. I'm sure some others would prefer to do it themselves too but then the smith could negotiate that possibly. A really good rifle with out scope is virtually impossible to build for less than $3,500. And a really good custom rifle and it's parts are always recognized by good shooters so there will be a higher re-sale vaue if you sell the rifle. I've found this out the hard way. Quality retains value without question...

I had never thought I would own a $6000 rifle having either putting them together myself, or optimizing factory rigs, with good success. I have always been a do it yourself type and couldn't imagine buying a rifle for $6000. For my 60th birthday my wife, after watching BOTW on TV got the idea to buy me one of their Coopers in 6.5x284. I had bought a Huskemaw scope prior, really liked it, so thought it would be great idea. After getting this rifle, it might be only one data point, but I have developed a strong impression of what a high end rifle should deliver. First off, considering all the extras that came with the rifle, it is actually less than 6500. It came with a $250 case, scope, , mounts, 100rds. of ammo, wind meter, 5 turrets, and broken in and tested. Without adding anything for labor for set-up, I estimate the bare rifle to be around $4500. The rifle itself was perfect. Cerekote, removable brake, perfectly bedded HS stock, tuned trigger, and an action that was smooth as glass. This is not an out of the box Cooper. The shop at BOTW puts it together. The exact load recipe was also provided. Very first time at the range with the turret for my elevation, it produced a .25MOA group at 200 yards that was dead centered in a one inch circle. It maintained it's point of impact within an inch, clean, dirty, warm barrel,
or cold barrel. It cleans up with no copper fouling in 10 minutes using a half dozen patches. Used it in Wyoming and Alberta taking eleven deer and antelope between 200 and 998 yards. All one shot kills. Get the conditions right and the turrets are nuts on. Busted softball sized rocks out to 1100 yards. The people at BOTW will go out of their way to answer questions, follow up, and build a relationship with you. No, I don't work for them, and actually was a little skeptical about the claims they made and some of the TV theatrics, but I have changed my impression. The rifle one has about 300 rounds through it, 200 of them, my hand loads, and it stll shoots the same way as the first time I shot it.
It might be a tall order, and I just might have been lucky, but this is the standard that I would judge a $6000 rifle.IMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.