What made you interested in long range shooting?

Growing my old Man had two framed items on the wall in his reloading room. One was his picture from graduation MCRD San Diego and a NRA Certificate for shooting new National Record prone any rifle in 1950. Precision shooting was always an interest of mine. Did not get serious about it till 1990, well worth the wait.

For me, it was about 15 years ago. I was sitting on a big bean field, and out popped the most beautiful 14 point(typical)buck that I had ever seen. He was at 450 yards, and I was sitting there with my 308 Win, hoping he would head my way. I needed him to be within 200 yards, because after that, I had no idea where my bullet would hit.
I watched that deer for fifteen minutes, in late December, feed on leftover beans. He left the field and I never saw him again.

After going through a ton of gear, rifles, bullets, I'm now shooting a Tikka SL in 6.5 PRC. I'm good out to 800, but will never pass on a 450 with good wind conditions again!😁

I got into LR shooting because I won a Dall sheep tag and I knew it would probably be my only chance to shoot a white sheep. I had already taken a Wyoming Rocky (my avatar) and I wanted to be sure I was accurate and ethical out to 5-600 yds in case it was my only chance I had. I bought a turret scope and then made a big portable PVC framed target and went to the desert. When I proved I was consistently on at those ranges I was thrilled and ready.
I have since been fortunate to take all four NA sheep and interestingly enough, my longest shot on any of my sheep was 360 yards. In hunting I believe in getting as close as possible, but being proficient at shooting farther has given me great confidence and satisfaction.
Since those early days, I have found a really fine LR Range close enough to get to occasionally and I've found that there is just something about the sound of a bullet smacking steel that "makes my heart sing"! GROOVY.

So many great memories that fueled the desire... walking hay fields with my Dad when I was about 8 years old with a Remington 721 in .222 Rem and a Weaver K10 and poking 'chucks out to about 200 yards. Dropping my first 400 yard crow with a .22-250. Taking out a groundhog at 550 yards with my .25-06 single shot. Then taking my boys out to shoot my heavy barrel AR15 and ringing steel at 600 yards and watching their faces light up. And seeing my oldest boy shoot his first groundhog at 200 yards with his .223 bolt gun. It's not so much the distance as it is the challenge and the time spent in the field. I've never had a bad day hunting with my boys... hope you all can say the same.

LOL - just read some earlier posts - and other guys have read Carlos' 93 Confirmed Kills book,

A big part of sniping is the stalk/hide - and I am so glad a Native American/Family Friend - former WWII Marine Sniper in the Pacific - a Modoc - (RIP Dear Buddy - his first name) - taught me some about moving through the woods way back in the 50's, He shot his deer thru the eyes to save meat and he usually passed on the Monster Mulies we had back then - some over 300 lbs (we talked weight then - not horns) - to shoot smaller - more tender ones. :)

Later Buddy drove the Reservation school bus - and the kids never knew what old Grandfather type - soft spoken Buddy has done in the war. He and his dear wife Nell - (from an Oklahoma tribe) also raised the most beautiful horses and Buddy could ride with anyone. What an amazing life he led.

If you want to know more about the Modocs - more Warriors than the Klamath Tribe - read about Captain Jack's Stronghold - where a small group held off a much larger force of battle hardened Civil War vets - who also had artillery.

Last edited:
The reason I decided to shoot long range was not for any competition but just the satisfaction of being able to do it. There's something very satisfying about sending a round way down range and then hearing that audible "ting" when the bullet strikes the plate.
This summer I'm going to start playing with my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps at long range. Should be fun but I'm not going the black powder route. I will be shooting my own cast 500 gr spire point bullets out of it launched by somewhere around 40 grains of IMR3031 or H4198.

Why LR?

Several years ago I started working with vets wounded in our recent wars when Mossy Oak came to our ranch to film two of our events.
I was immediately addicted to this cause when I had the honor to guide Col. Larry Gerlach (google him) on a Rio Grand Turkey hunt in remembrance of the 30th anniversary of the Marines barracks bombing in Beirut, Lebanon. Larry has been in a wheelchair ever since, and is one of the most humble and thankful men I have ever known!

We did turkey hunts on the ranch for several years, but it seemed that these Afghan vets only wanted to "Play" with their toys after the morning hunt. (Toys = Long Range Rigs!) so we built them a range out to 1200 yards and they love it!

Now, I've been hunting for 60 years, and the farthest shot I had ever taken was a Kentucky windage hope and a prayer at 400 yards and my bull was DRT, but I was never comfortable shooting out past 200 yards.

Add to that the fact that I hate math, so I didn't figure I would enjoy this sport enough to justify spending the kind of money I thought it would take to get into this game.

But, I love working with these guys, and I had a 7RM that has always shot 3/4" groups at 100 with factory ammo, so I bought a good trigger and $600 glass and began load development. When I shot my first 3" group at 600 yards in less than favorable conditions I became a lifelong addict!

I've spent lots of money on this new hobby, but the learning and friendships Long Range Shooting has brought into my life are worth it all! Oh, my 1978 model 7RM still goes to 1200 yards easily!

I watched my grandfather as a kid shooting a wild cow at 700 yards and dropped her on the third shot with his 303 British with iron sights,he said it's not about what rifle you use its about how well you know your rifle and your capabilities. I love seeing what I can accomplish with my 308 out to 1000 yards with a setup that is frowned upon by many long range shooters. That is how I get satisfaction ,because any rifle will out perform its shooter any time of the day.