What is this target telling me, if anything

You are also 200-300 FPS under full performance in my opinion. In the Hornady book you are 3 grains below max on you powder for this bullet weight.

Don't take this advise to load hotter. Follow the Barnes data for barnes bullets not the Hornady book for barnes bullets. It is a common misunderstanding in loading ammo but it is important to understand that mono bullets of the same weight and same length will take up more space in the brass resulting in higher pressures.

I agree that a ladder test is better done at longer distances but understand that isn't practical for some people to shoot regularly at a place that allows longer distances.

Yes, you could decrease your SD by doing additional brass prep and/or using a better chrono but if it were my gun, I wouldn't waste much more time or effort in developing a load. I load and shoot often to make me a more effective hunter and when you reach a certain point with a load you are just wasting time and money.

If I were you, I would load 5 roads at 53gr and 5 rounds at 54gr. I think there is a good chance that either or both loads could result in 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. They won't be 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards but in reality your 30-06 with 165gr barnes bullets is a 500-600 yard max combo anyway because after that the velocity will likely be too low for the bullet to open properly.

After that next test I would likely settle on 53 gr or 54 gr and then load at least 20-30 more bullets and test them at different ranges and see exactly what they are doing in my gun at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. A hunter with a combo that shots 1 MOA that regularly shoots his gun at different ranges and in conditions that simulate likely hunting scenarios will be much more effective hunter than the guy that spends all his time, money and effort at a reloading bench.

1. For that many powder charges you're too close and can't see the true point of impact so you can't really tell anything of any real value.
2. Always use the manual from the bullet manufacturer, don't use a Hornady manual and expect it to predict accurately what a Barnes TTSX bullet will do - any change in the bullet's profile can have major effects on pressures and velocities.
3. Regardless of what reloading manual you use, pay attention to the test parameters. If they used a 26" universal barrel then their velocities will be far higher than your 22" bolt rifle.
4. Velocities can vary as you reach a node but chronographs can produce bad data if you don't use them according to the manufacturer's instructions. Chronographs can detect bullets through optics, magnetism, or high frequency waves, and each will require some sort of conditions to work properly, if you don't keep them within those conditions then they just wont work reliably.

Personally I'd redo the test at 200 yards and make sure that you can see each impact, then I'd choose the center powder charge of the three closest impacts.

Ditch the chrony, unless you've done a lot of brass prep, and have great reloading practice, a single shot will not give you enough you a true statistical analysis of your es or sd. Shoot ur ladder at 400yards minimum and the target will tell you where the node is

Fact is that you got that many shots at those varying velocities per your post, they are all right at 1" at 100 yds. That in itself ain't bad from my chair. It appears that you at least have something promising to work with.

If I was using a Barnes mono bullet, depending in your intended ranges, you might want to push it somewhat, but stay within the parameters of safe loads. Do your own work up, not what some internet expert says they do. From my perspective, most people lie about their velocities anyways. It is what it is.

I am going off the Barnes load data for this bullet.im gonna check out chrono and go back to the reloading bench n see what I come up with. As for intended purpose of this load is just hunting round out to 3-400yds is what I'm looking for. I would like it to consistently 1in or better at 100; preferably better. Doesn't have to be smokin hot, I'm not longrange shooter by any means. Started reloading cause it's enjoyable n satisfying when you get a good accurate load worked up. Appreciate everyone's advice. Let ya know how I make out .

Check your powder scale. Those velocity swings are way to big to be brass issues. Your scale may need a tune up. What are you using?
Shep

Went back n shot rest of rounds I had loaded up. Picked out couple prospects n this is what I came up with. I did change battery in chrono and backed it up some. Think I may have had it little too close

Attachments

• 85D23CD2-AA8C-4FF7-8791-DE15F0DF700F.jpeg
    85D23CD2-AA8C-4FF7-8791-DE15F0DF700F.jpeg
    942.8 KB · Views: 73
If I'd have to take a wild guess, I'd bet on inconsistent brass. Either weight or neck tension or a combination of the 2.
My guess was also some inconsistent brass thrown into the mix. It put plenty of rounds into a nice group with a few fliers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.