What is this target telling me, if anything

Rilow

I has some rounds loaded from awhile ago that never shot. So decided to shoot 1 of each charge weight. Being it's big game powder to see if there was any primer cratering with the Barnes 165 ttsx, which there isn't. Not sure what to make of velocities. What do you think? And what would you do next?

Attachments

• C366B7E1-7600-4D04-93D6-97F871EAC5E8.jpeg
    C366B7E1-7600-4D04-93D6-97F871EAC5E8.jpeg
    993 KB · Views: 276
Weight sort or better yet H20 sort your brass, your all over the place.
You could very well have some big internal volume difference's in your brass. If that doesnt work try different primer or powder it's not liking something.

Most ladder tests are done at 400-500 yards. You are also 200-300 FPS under full performance in my opinion. In the Hornady book you are 3 grains below max on you powder for this bullet weight.

I'm wondering if your chrono was acting weird. What kind of chrono are you using?
Pro chrono digital. Haven't used it a whole lot but always gave me a reading n seemed to work ok, but it's a possibility. Come to think of it maybe I should change battery , some of this electronic stuff gets acting weird when batteries get weak.

I know I am getting older by the minute but I always thought that if you changed powder weight you should also expect different velocities. Don't know everything about reloading but a four grain difference in powder weight will probably give you different velocities. Just sayin.
Personally I don't load one manufacturers bullets based on another manufacturer's manual. Similar bullet weights don't always equate to similar reactions in the chamber and barrel. I don't load IMR-4350 with information that is given for
H-4350.
With a majority of your mid-range powder weights in the same hole I would most likely start with those powder weights and develop loads from that data.

Check your chrony. I've seen dips in velocity but never so many. Inconsistent data. As stated above, Check case volumes, charge weights, shoot at longer distances, and check chrony. Somewhere in there you will find the source of inconsistency and resolve the issue.

another thought on you bullet selection is how far your shot might be and what animal ? The Barnes perform best as shot on the light fast side . I call Barnes to find out minimum speeds the bullet fully opens and that dictates my choice for cartridge choice and distance , I run the 130 grain at3350+ out of my 20" barrel 30-06 and restricts me to around 500 yds. , 3760's out of my Patriot and 4100's from the warbird , if my memory is correct I chose the 30 cal 168 gr. Barnes over the 165 because the 168 0pens around 1500 -1600 FPS and the 165 @ 1800 i think . These are all barrel burners by the way and not sitting on the bench watching them punch holes . These all hold MOA out to 600 yds and all shoot 1/4"-3/8" max . Just fodder for thought before you go further .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.