What is this a scar/fissure/tooling mark in my barrel?

I bought a bore scope last year. Big mistake since, at 10X, every standard factory barrel looks like it was machined with a hatchet. Some are so bad looking, you think that you can't even hit the ground. With just a light, you can't see anything wrong. As stated above, if you want to sleep at night, don't use a bore scope. You will find you want to take pictures and send them to every rifle manufacturer. I'm sure the high end custom barrels look much better, but the factory barrels on some of my expensive rifles are still disturbing to look at.

Like so many of the fellas here I tend to agree...shoot it, but I relate to how you feel. When you buy something new you hate to see imperfections!

Exactly, especially on a rifle that I've spent a lot of time getting the way I wanted and easily allowed me to shoot to my best ability. I'm still learning and and working on my skills and reloads to get the best out of me and what I have.

I bought a bore scope last year. Big mistake since, at 10X, every standard factory barrel looks like it was machined with a hatchet. Some are so bad looking, you think that you can't even hit the ground. With just a light, you can't see anything wrong. As stated above, if you want to sleep at night, don't use a bore scope. You will find you want to take pictures and send them to every rifle manufacturer. I'm sure the high end custom barrels look much better, but the factory barrels on some of my expensive rifles are still disturbing to look at.

LOL, I'd never sleep at night! Next time, I think I will stick to just looking down the barrel after cleaning to make sure there is nothing obvious, and calling it a day!

Interestingly, while most factory barrels look pretty rough looking when borescoped, the Remington 700 R5 Mildpecs I've owned look very good. They shoot superbly for 200+ shots without fouling or loosing accuracy, and clean up quickly. One of the exceptions!!

I don't care how good it shoots that would bug the crap outta me. My biggest concern would be is if that is a crack........I would suggest getting that scoped by someone that has a good borescope to make sure it's just a scratch or tooling mark and NOT A FRACTURE. You did the right thing by callin Savage, make em fix it.

I don't care how good it shoots that would bug the crap outta me. My biggest concern would be is if that is a crack........I would suggest getting that scoped by someone that has a good borescope to make sure it's just a scratch or tooling mark and NOT A FRACTURE. You did the right thing by callin Savage, make em fix it.
I haven't heard back from them in 3 days since I first emailed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.