What is this a scar/fissure/tooling mark in my barrel?

les strat

Hi all.
Looking down my barrel with a new bore light last night, I noticed this abnormality just inside the muzzle of the barrel and about had a heart attack. It's on the top of the bore and crosses some of the rifling in a different direction. I had only eyed down the bore looking at a window before, so this was the first time I had seen it in such detail with the bore light. Could this be damaged from where they threaded the barrel?
IMG_6177.JPG
IMG_6180.JPG
IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_5874.JPG

The rifle is a Savage 110 Predator, 6.5CR, 1/8 twist. Bought it new back in October. Has 206 rounds of mostly 147gn ELDM through it. It is wearing a Surefire Procomp brake. Rifle shoots 1/2 MOA with ease.

I sent the pics to Savage and waiting to hear back from them on the issue, Just wanted to see what y'all think.

Thanks.

If it shoots .5MOA, don't sweat it. Shoot it.

Sometimes bore scopes are more damning than beneficial. What you don't know, doesn't hurt you. Now you are all worked up.

As previously stated, it's more important how well it shoots, not what it looks like. I would be afraid to return it to Savage if that's what they tell you to do. Put the bore scope away and go have fun shooting.

Well, this was after my first cleaning since break-in, so maybe it won't shoot that now! I used a bore guide. I will admit I used a brass rod, but surely that kind of scratch couldn't come from a rod of way softer metal.

Savage barrels are button rifled and not lapped. So, my guess would be some contamination in the barrel when the broach was pulled through. Like maybe some shaving left in there when the initial bore was drilled.
Looks read good otherwise for a Savage barrel though! Usually there are a ton of concentric tooling marks in them.

No way is that coming from the cleaning rod. Its pretty odd looking. I would think that when they cut the muzzle threads that they would use a tapered center of some sort. (https://rifleshooter.com/2014/04/how-to-cut-and-crown-a-rifle-barrel-and-install-a-brake/) Maybe it caused that. Did you by chance use your rifle to pound in tent stakes on your last backpack hunt? Im all for multi-use tools, but surely you can find a rock next time. Also if you are low on funds, I will give you $100 for it. Ya know since its damaged :)

No way is that coming from the cleaning rod. Its pretty odd looking. I would think that when they cut the muzzle threads that they would use a tapered center of some sort. (https://rifleshooter.com/2014/04/how-to-cut-and-crown-a-rifle-barrel-and-install-a-brake/) Maybe it caused that. Did you by chance use your rifle to pound in tent stakes on your last backpack hunt? Im all for multi-use tools, but surely you can find a rock next time. Also if you are low on funds, I will give you $100 for it. Ya know since its damaged :)

LOL, not with this rifle (maybe before with an AK, IDK, haha).

I'll have to pass on the offer!

I would guess most barrels have imperfections in them we do not see. That is a good looking rifle. I was just looking at one just like it last weekend. Good to know it shoots so well.

Any other cartridge with that kind of gouge in it would shoot 8" groups at 50 yards. Since it is chambered in 6.5 Creed, the Creed has overcome the short comings of your barrel and shoots 1/2 MOA.

Sorry, I couldn't resist facetiously saying what some people will come on here and proclaim people think.

Shoot the thing until it wont shoot anymore and then rebarrel it, but that probably will be a while.

It is a drill/tool mark that the reamer or buttoned process did/could not remove. It was caused by a chip or some other foreign object getting under the boring drill.

Or it was caused by a pilot for something (Like a bore siter for scope mounting) being inserted in the muzzle causing damage. (It does happen).

It is not your fault and if it shoots OK, don't worry about it.

J E CUSTOM

I have the same exact rifle, and I have looked my barrel over with a borescope and I would be willing to trade with you. My barrel doesn't look near that good,but it shoots similar to yours.

My comment on borescopes, having had one for a couple of years now,is. "I can't tell you if your barrel will shoot or not, but I may be able to tell you why it doesn't shoot."

It could be an artifact from prior to rifling, are the barrels gun drilled from 1 side, was there a stop start ? The rifling button may mash it down but material has springback. If it worries you, you could cut the barrel shorter and remove the affected part. In my opinion, buying a quality aftermarket barrel is much better money spent than doing anything to a factory barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.