What is the point of camo clothing?

ssssnake529

Most states have rules that hunters have to wear blaze orange clothing on your torso and head when you're hunting with a rifle.

So, what's the point of buying camo clothing, if it's just going to be covered with a bright orange vest?

Is camo just for bow hunters?

ss, I'm with you, it's getting out of hand. Camo everything, generators, binos, rangefinders you name it. If I laid my camo GPS down, how can I find it, I'm out 3-400$. I walk into Cabelas and here are people shopping in camo, is anyone impressed??? It's crazy, camo everything. Perhaps it is a regional thing.

After seeing what some of these kids are wearing today. I would rather look at camo all day long.
And yes I can wear it for bow hunting to.
and no I don't wear it for shopping at cabelas
but I do think it represents " American outdoorsmen" which at this point in the world today I will continue to buy and support.

If you research how ungulates see colors, the burnt orange will make a lot more sense.

I wear camouflage simply because thats the warmest clothes i own. However, ive killed more elk in a flannel & wool pants then i ever have in camo :)

Wear camouflage clothes under your orange vest. Animals are less likely to see your arm or leg movement while sitting in a tree stand. I also wear a camo face mask and no orange hat while in the stand, swap to orange hat walking to and from the stand . I feel like I can move slightly more without detection, in the stand.

Good luck

Jerry

Most states have rules that hunters have to wear blaze orange clothing on your torso and head when you're hunting with a rifle.

So, what's the point of buying camo clothing, if it's just going to be covered with a bright orange vest?

Is camo just for bow hunters?

No, used extensively on turkey and waterfowl hunting too!

My hunting clothing mostly happens to be camo. Just because the law says I have to wear orange during general season is no reason for me to abandon my camo clothing and purchase diff non camo clothing for the diff hunting season.

Maybe the more important question is what purpose does wearing orange serve? Last time I looked states that don't have orange regulations don't have a higher incident of accidental shootings. It has been a long time since looked into statistics, but my recollection is that orange areas had higher rates of accidental shootings. I personally have never thought that a guy in camo without any orange looked like a deer or any other game animal.

IMO the orange regulation is useless for it stated purpose. I think it makes it easier for officials or anybody else to find hunters.

Steve

My hunting clothing mostly happens to be camo. Just because the law says I have to wear orange during general season is no reason for me to abandon my camo clothing and purchase diff non camo clothing for the diff hunting season.

Maybe the more important question is what purpose does wearing orange serve? Last time I looked states that don't have orange regulations don't have a higher incident of accidental shootings. It has been a long time since looked into statistics, but my recollection is that orange areas had higher rates of accidental shootings. I personally have never thought that a guy in camo without any orange looked like a deer or any other game animal.

IMO the orange regulation is useless for it stated purpose. I think it makes it easier for officials or anybody else to find hunters.

Steve

I don't have problem wearing blaze orange during rifle season at all ... I'm all for safety.

I like to wear my old military uniforms during hunting season.

image3_zpsafff6ba4.jpeg

1009101045A.jpg

This happened where I hunt >>> Former Capital High wrestling coach shot by arrow while hunting

I live and hunt primarily in Oregon. No hunter orange required. I go full camo face and all for the simple reason of not being seen by other hunters. Here is a story about my wife and I hunting an area that only opens up for vehicle and foot traffic during dear season. Because of the increased amount of hunters in the area she insisted on wearing orange. We had hiked out to a ridge overlooking a logging road that was walk in only and we observed some hunters about 500yds below us walking up the road. When she came over to where she could see them they immediately stopped to look at her. The problem is that these hunters had no binoculars and used their rifle scopes to look at her!!! Yes they were freakin pointing their rifles at her. She prefers to be unseen now. I **** near snuck down the hill and Rambo'd their sorry asses.

This question comes up periodically when in the hunting camp. When whitetailing in the Carolina's we're usually in an elevated box blind any way. So what's up with the camo - well my answer hasn't changed in years - " the camo is strictly for the photographs". :D

That shooting took place after dark so I am not too sure that orange would have prevented it.

Steve

That's exactly my point, there are idiots out there.

Even in broad daylight a good camo works extremely well to conceal hunters. I remember a couple of years ago my hunting buddy and I were bowhunting at the front and a couple of hunters passed between us on a major game trail without seeing us and we were no more than 30 yards apart.

I can only imagine that they were concentrating more on seeing a game but not fellow hunters.

One of the commandments of firearms safety is to "Be sure of your target and what's beyond it." A highly visible blaze orange will help an "ethical and safety conscious hunter" see another hunter much easier than without.

[ame]https://youtu.be/7kjSI79ss9I?t=74[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/WAnNWtrX4js?t=34[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/I8AJifkSxag?t=39[/ame]
I don't know about you but I don't want to get shot or the other way around.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.