What is a typical mountain rifle build?

Built a 6.5x47 last year. It finished about 8 lbs.
benchmark #3 fluted
Remington SA trued
Wildcat stock
Trigger tech
Swarovski Z5 5-25x52BT
Tally rings
Dipped Kuiu Verde 2.0

Hello, been a longtime lurker on Long Range Hunting and you guys have helped me a lot but I decided to post here as I couldn't find a thread to answer my question.

I have been looking to start building a sort of all purpose hunting/mountain rifle and I wanted to make sure it was light enough for the sheep or elk hunts I have planned in the mountains. Long story short, what I thought would be the bees knees of all around hunting/mountain rifles came in at an estimated 187.5 oz (11.53 lbs) with scope. While this would be fine for regular whitetail hunting it seems that I'm about 2.5lbs heavy for an ideal rifle. How do you all typically spec out a rifle you are planning to carry in the mountains? I thought I was building a 7-8 lbs rifle but I was mistaken. Below is the build I had thought was going to be great with weight of parts. Also, a '*' indicates an weight I estimated. I have no problems throwing the entire build out if I am just completely off track from where I should be in building a mountain rifle with the exception of caliber, I'm pretty sure I want a 280A.I. Where am I going wrong on getting the rifle lighter? Thank you in advance for looking and giving your advise.

My original planned build:

• Remington 700 long action receiver trued by NSS (39oz*)
  • Timney 3.5lbs trigger w/ safety (0oz added when replacing original)
  • Sin Arms fluted bolt service (-1oz*)
  • M5 Stealth LA flush bottom metal (7.5oz* added when replacing original)
  • Magpul PMAG 5 AC-L magazine (2.8oz)
  • Criterion Remage heavy sporter barrel in 280A.I. (54oz)
  • Barrel fluting from NSS (-6oz*)
  • Barrel muzzle threading (-1oz*)
  • NSS Remage precision recoil lug (1oz*)
  • NSS squared and trued barrel nut (3oz*)
  • APA Micro Bastard Muzzle break (1.8oz)
  • Manners MCS-TA full carbon fiber stock (44.8oz)
  • Manners flush cups (x2), sling studs (x3), 9/16" pillars (3oz*)
  • Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x44mm scope (30oz)
  • Iota Outdoors Triad 30mm medium scope rings (3oz)
  • Butler Creek flip-up scope covers (2oz*)
well...I have the savage storm in 7mm08....it is perfect as is....shoots the nosler 140 grain accubond into one hole....not even joking...you get to build the stock how you want.....I dont think anyone could make a better mountain gun than the savage storm....seriously dude...check one out.

My light weight LR Rig:
Lone peak razor ti action
Proof 24" sendero light, 6.5 Saum
Huber trigger
Hawkins bdl bottom metal
Hawkins 25 moa hybrid rings/bases
McMillan game hunter edge
Leupold vx6hd 3-18x44
Weighs 7.6# loaded to hunt.

Here's a good idea for a budget build:
400$ Tikka t3x la magnum donor action, Trigger, bottom plastic and mag, 32oz
350$ Wildcat composites stock, 19oz
350$24" brux#3 fluted in 7mm, 40oz?
100$ Hawkins hybrid rings, 3oz
500$ Smith work
1700$ Total weight 5.9# minus optics, I'd chamber in 7saum or 7 Sherman short throated properly for 180 vld @ 3000 fps.

I have lighter rifles, forbes 24B in 280 weighs 5.5# under 7# scoped and loaded, it's not very stable for much past 600y reliably, however it is a very accurate rifle.

Savage Hunter 11,
I read to the bottom of the first page and did not see any suggestion used the 26-ounce Weatherby Mark V six lug action. They are built around to the 30 ought 6 so any of those head configurations will work.

As far as the barrel goes I bought the lightest 26 inch Pac nor and a 26-inch Christian arms carbon fiber. I had the Pac nor fluted buy Twisted Barrel. Both 26 inch barrels weight 40 oz.

A three and a half pound trigger seems like a departure from practicality. Something in the 20 -25 ounces would be more conducive to accuracy.

If you could afford it you could go with a March 2 1/2 -25 X52 and reduce 6 oz from your scope weight.

As stated the Savage Storm is 7lbs and is $600 and comes in a L hand model. You can always change the stock and barrel but you get a lightweight action to build on. I have 2 of the lightweight hunters(111 in wood and the 116 is stainless) and they are a pound lighter than the Storm. Both shoot great but you have to concentrate more than a heavier rifle, as mentioned.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793438289

Hello, been a longtime lurker on Long Range Hunting and you guys have helped me a lot but I decided to post here as I couldn't find a thread to answer my question.

I have been looking to start building a sort of all purpose hunting/mountain rifle and I wanted to make sure it was light enough for the sheep or elk hunts I have planned in the mountains. Long story short, what I thought would be the bees knees of all around hunting/mountain rifles came in at an estimated 187.5 oz (11.53 lbs) with scope. While this would be fine for regular whitetail hunting it seems that I'm about 2.5lbs heavy for an ideal rifle. How do you all typically spec out a rifle you are planning to carry in the mountains? I thought I was building a 7-8 lbs rifle but I was mistaken. Below is the build I had thought was going to be great with weight of parts. Also, a '*' indicates an weight I estimated. I have no problems throwing the entire build out if I am just completely off track from where I should be in building a mountain rifle with the exception of caliber, I'm pretty sure I want a 280A.I. Where am I going wrong on getting the rifle lighter? Thank you in advance for looking and giving your advise.

My original planned build:

• Remington 700 long action receiver trued by NSS (39oz*)
  • Timney 3.5lbs trigger w/ safety (0oz added when replacing original)
  • Sin Arms fluted bolt service (-1oz*)
  • M5 Stealth LA flush bottom metal (7.5oz* added when replacing original)
  • Magpul PMAG 5 AC-L magazine (2.8oz)
  • Criterion Remage heavy sporter barrel in 280A.I. (54oz)
  • Barrel fluting from NSS (-6oz*)
  • Barrel muzzle threading (-1oz*)
  • NSS Remage precision recoil lug (1oz*)
  • NSS squared and trued barrel nut (3oz*)
  • APA Micro Bastard Muzzle break (1.8oz)
  • Manners MCS-TA full carbon fiber stock (44.8oz)
  • Manners flush cups (x2), sling studs (x3), 9/16" pillars (3oz*)
  • Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x44mm scope (30oz)
  • Iota Outdoors Triad 30mm medium scope rings (3oz)
  • Butler Creek flip-up scope covers (2oz*)

I see a lot of areas for improvement here when considering a light mountain hunting rifle.

First I would ditch the idea of a Timney trigger. Waste of money. Pretty much every other trigger on the market is better than Timney.
Trigger Tech makes a great trigger, Jewell is always good, and Bix'n Andy now makes the TacSport line which is designed for hunting/tactical rifle applications.

Don't worry about fluting your bolt. Doesnt save much weight at all. Really just an extra expense that isn't needed and it weakens the bolt handle.

Scratch the idea of a M5 DBM and just use regular BDL floor plate. Will save you a lot of weight and still be able to fit four 280 AI cases in the magazine. Don't have to worry about losing a magazine while hiking either.

Scratch the heavy Manners stock and go with a McMillan Hunters edge, or my personal favorite, the AG Composites CAT 700 all carbon fiber sporter stock. The AG long action CAT 700 weighs 22 oz. including butt pad and swivel studs. No long waits like McMillan and better color options. CAT 700 is readily available and AG composites has the best warranty in the business. They are hands down the best people I have ever dealt with. They re-painted my stock for free just because I wore a little paint off the butt while hiking with the rifle in the mountains over a period of 3 years. Couldnt believe that kind of service on normal wear and tear! Wouldn't even take the money I offered them for return shipping!

Next, if you are willing to pay for it, get a Proof Carbon fiber "Light Sendero" contour barrel that finishes at 24". Will be a lot lighter than what you had planned. Also forget about the Remage style barrel unless you plan on pulling and changing barrels on it. The nut is just extra weight.

Look at different scope options too. Theres a lot of good scopes out there that can provide a wider magnification range with just as good or better glass than the NF SHV for less money, all the while weighing up to 1/2 lb less (8 oz.)

Butler Creek scope caps SUCK! Lol. Vortex is making some nice ones now for $20 each. They lock up solid when closed and lay all the way flat when open to provide an unobstructed view. Well worth the $40 a pair and won't have to deal with the headache of Butler caps not staying closed.

That's my 2 cents anyhow. Take it how you like. Best of luck with your new build. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun :)

Last edited:
so what is the weight range yall consider "mountain" rifle?
just the rifle...or rifle and scope but at least clarify....how much is too much?

As stated the Savage Storm is 7lbs and is $600 and comes in a L hand model. You can always change the stock and barrel but you get a lightweight action to build on. I have 2 of the lightweight hunters(111 in wood and the 116 is stainless) and they are a pound lighter than the Storm. Both shoot great but you have to concentrate more than a heavier rifle, as mentioned.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793438289
what are these folks considering a mountain gun? I mean as far as weight?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.