What do you think?

W.TX-hunter21

I have a build in mind, and Im seeking opinions.

This is what I was thinking for, long range deer, hog, varmint, and the range:

Remington sps tactical .308, balanced/blueprinted
Tubb Speed lock firing pin system. Badger ordnance M-16 Style extractor
Badger ordnance recoil lug
Badger ordnance 20 moa one-piece base
Burris extreme rings
Valdada IOR 10x56 tactical ill. Mp-8 retical
Manners MCS-TA adj. stock
Limbsaver recoil pad
After-market barrel ?( maybe Hart?) 1-10 twist 5-6 grooves? " M-40 taper finished 23" with SCR muscle brake.
Jewell trigger w/ safty
Wyatts trigger guard w/5 round DBM
Pillar, Glass bedded

I would like to shoot 168- 175 smk

What do you guy's think? Any opinions greatly appriciated. Also looking for a smith up to this task.

Last edited:
I think you have to much money that you want to waste in a rifle that may shoot the same as some out of the box tactical 308s from a few different companies that can be had for less than 1k, but if that's what you want go for it.

Sounds like you have a pretty good list of components. However I'm kinda with backwoods on this one. Four guys I'm in the military with and my cousin have the SPS and they all shoot better then 3/4 MOA with factory match ammo. Some consistently under 1/2 MOA. I would give the rifle a chance before dropping all that money and waiting months on a smith. But it's your money and only you know what you want.

Oh, and for the money i'd buy a 8-32 sightron or 6-24 vortex scope for 100 less before I spent 800+ on a fixed power especially a 10x.

Well I already have the rifle, and this is a dream build that Ive been thinking of for a while now, the scope is something I just love through and through, I also have the base's and rings on another rifle that will be retired this year so I already have a good start, I just want MORE, and with a little flavor too I guess.

I know I could build something cheaper, but like I said before its a dream build. Thanks for the inputs keep them coming, Thanks.

Well since its your dream build I'll give you a couple pointers, first if you want the M16 style pinned extractor look into the competitive edge gunworks bolts they come snake fluted with an extended tactical knob and the M16 style extractor just drop in the tubbs and a callahan aluminum shroud and your good to go. As for a barrel, it seems as if your almost trying to duplicate a bravo 51 so I would get a 24" 1 in 11.2" twist Rockcreek 5R, no need for a 10 twist that's for the heavy weights. The rest seems pretty solid.

Thanks for the adivce guys, I would like to use this in the field, and was always under the impression that worked over bolts like that could get jammed up easy from debris because of the tight tolorances and the fluting?

I am trying to learn as well as build sso any pointer's are fully welcome, Thanks guy's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.