what do people feel the best hunting optics (scope) for my weatherby

I perplexed on what I should get for a rifle scope for my weatherby 30-378 the factors that are most important to me low low light visability bad weather and all around best scope. Please help with this i was looking at the swarovski schimbt and bender or the vari x 111 leo I want to get the best and not pay for just the name. thanks ill be shooting no more than 350 yds.

Schmidt & Bender Zenith FD7 2,5-10x56. I have been leaning towards Zeiss but when I got the chance to look through the S&B a few days ago I will definitely get that one. The best scope I have ever seen.

I know I won't be the only one to say this, for the quality and service you will get, it's hard to beat a Leupold. Especially for the money.

World record, get a nikon Monarch. The glass blows Leupold away. 4x12x40 would be perfect for you.

I used Leupold for years, but I like the nikon so much better. I'm reluctant to buy a Nikon tactical, but that wouldn't matter to you. Go into a store and compare them side by side.

I'll go with Bill Bailey
Leupold may not seem as popular these days, but I've seen many "better scopes" not hold up as well.

You say low light conditions at no more than 350 yards?

I'd get a European, 30mm tube and a 56mm objective in 2.5X10, with good eye relief. I like a Kahles, for the money.

Good hunting. LB

IOR is an awesome scope. You can't go wrong. The glass is unbelievable.

I didn't se the low low light condition part of the post when I first read it.
So definitely do not get a leupold. The suck in low light. Ever hear the expression "Leupold, who turned out the lights"
I'm telling you that you should seriously check out the nikon monarch. Do some searches. Way brighter than leupold and super clear glass. I have a leupold M1 that cost me cover $700 and a monarch than cost me $200. The Monarch has much better glass. I love my leupold, don't get me wrong, the M1 turrets are great. But, for 350 yards your dont need turrets or any external adjustments. You just need quality glass.

Instead of just taking peoples opinions go to a store and look through some. Try to go at a time when you can check them out in low light conditions.

And one VERY VERY important item to consider since you have a hard kicking caiber.
EYE RELIEF!!!!

I agree with john on the eye relief aspect. the more the marrier. I had to get rid of a burris fullfield that was given to me for my 300 rum because it was tapping my glasses every time I pulled the trigger. wouldn't even try prone with it.

My opinion goes along with some already here.
Of the choices you mentioned I would choose S&B 1st then Swaro, then Leuey. (I have no experience with either other than looking through them at the stores) Thats also in order of cost as well from Highest to lowest.
Someone throwed kahles out there and for low light they work great and are made by Swaro for quite a bit less cha- ching. Nikon is definitly a great scope as well with good low light ability.
Here is how I would do it. if your looking for a top quality scope in the 3 to 500 dollar range then look at Nikon and leupold as well as Burris.
if you can afford 500 to 850 then look at the Kahles, Zeiss, Burris Black Diamond's and if you have enough cash to spring for 1K plus then look at Nightforce NXS, S&B, and Swaro with the first two being my choices. ( never been a big Swaro fan)
OH and don't forget to get the most eye releif you can.

My thought process on optics I would rather have a good gun and super optics. Im building this gun to be my primary shooter for all my rifle hunts. So I want to do it right. I bought the right gun I believe. Well I want to put the right optics for the job. It not like im rich by any stretch but I would rather put nothing but the best on my gun. thanks in advance for you response. steve

For the shots you mentioned to around 400 yards you won't need all the high magnification so I would keep it under 16x on the high side ( my personal opinion ) for the larger field of view and the ability to focus easily at 50 yards as well.
I am faced with the same situation now deciding on a new scope for a new rig in the works and have narrowed it down to the S&B PMII 4x16x50 and the Nightforce 5.5x22x50 NXS.
I would not have a problem using any one of the scopes mentioned in this thread like the Nikon's, Burris Black Diamond ( I already own one of these ) Leuy's or IOR, and even USO's. I like to try different things always and since I have either owned or at least shot a rifle with one of the other scopes except IOR and USO I decided to lean towards NXS and S&B after a poll I had on this site yeilded more votes for those two and the Leuey MK4.

Well I will throw my 2 cents in the ring. I only have experince with the scopes we sell out here and in my opinion Leupold is the all around best. If you just want the great glass and you can afford it get a Swarovski, I think they are the clearest around, they just hurt my wallet. For the money you can't beat a Leuy, go with something in a 4.5-14x50mm with a 30mm tube, you will be able to see great in low light. I can't speak for the IOR or EXOTIC but I bet they are really nice.

Thanks
Steve

Schmidt & Bender classic series 3-12x50, klein reticle and magnum eye relief. can be had for around $1300. ($1250 if the magnum eye relief isn't extra, i can't ofhand remember if it is or not and haven't the list with me right now)
This scope is big enough to give you all the low light capability you will ever want, if you think you need more, you will only get it from a dedicated NV scope. Its light enough in weight and compact enough to be not overly big, the magnification 3-12 will see you just fine for anything from close range driven game out to long range. Its got a 30mm tube, for easy mounting options and the 50mm Obj means it isn't overly high when mounted. Its available with target type adjustments (but they cost a little extra).
Need more magnification than 12x? go for the 4-16x50 Long Range version.
The S&B beats the Swarovski on reliability and beats the Leupold on everything exept price.

3-12x50Classic around $1250 - $1300
Zenith around $1400

personaly i like the shape of the classic best, opticaly, nothing to choose between the 2.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts