What do you use for long range hunting?

catch-34

I was just wondering what setups people are using for long range hunting. gun caliber optics bullet ect. I was also hoping that John Burns could chime in here and let us know what he is now using.

By the way, welcome to Long Range Hunting.gun)

John's last post on LRH was in May of 2005 so you may not hear from him on here.:rolleyes:

Like GG said, there are unlimited combinations and if everyone showed his, that is what you'd have..........hundred or thousands of different combinations. A little searching will turn up pictures and posts that will keep you busy for a long time.

I will say, for what it's worth, that I typically use a 7mm with a variable scope and Wildcat bullets from Canada. It usually does the trick out to a halfway decent range.;)

Catch,

I use different rifles for different shooting situations.

My 50 to 400 yard rifle is a custom Varmint AR-15 set up in 223. I use a 40grn V-Max. I use a Leupold 4.5x14x50mm M4 LRT scope.

My 50 to 800 yard rifle is my Custom 300 Varminter. Nesika Model K, 1.470 Action, Bartlien 30", 1.250 dia. 1-15 twist barrel, Richards #8 Stock, Jewel Trigger, Nesika 20MOA rail base and Nightforce rings. I use a 125grn Ballistic Tip. I will be using a Nightforce 8x32x56mm NXS scope.

My 800 to 1500 yard rifle will be my custom 30-338 Lapua Improved. BAT 8.5 1.55 Action, Krieger 32", 1.450 dia. 1-12 twist barrel, Jewel Trigger, McMillan MBR Stock, Vias Muzzle Brake, BAT 20 MOA rail Base and Nightforce Rings. I will be using the 208grn A-Max. I will use a Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS.

I hope this is what your looking for.

W.

I was just wondering what setups people are using for long range hunting. gun caliber optics bullet ect. I was also hoping that John Burns could chime in here and let us know what he is now using.
-------------------------------------------------------------

You just got answers from some REAL experts !!!

'You just got answers from some REAL experts !!!"

-Ouch! Never seen the show, but I would like too. What channel is it on?

OL Mike, are you giving a complement to those guys or, are you poking fun.

I think GG, Wildcat and ss7mm are pretty knowledgeble guys.

If your poking fun, maybe you should find something else to do or go to another site. If you were giving the guys a compliment, then forgive me for telling you to go to another site.

P44

I use something that puts 2K+ FPE @ 1000 yards with what ever scope allows for shooting at a 3" bull at 1K.

Some times the rifle is a 338 RUM other times its a 270 AM.

Other than that I second what ss7mm said.

Catch-34

I am using three different calibers right now.

7MM Remington Magnum
180 VLD @ 2950fps

243 Win
105 VLD @ 3050

264 Win Mag
140 VLD @ 3200fps

I mostly used the 264 Win Mag this year to see how I liked it and if I would offer it in the custom systems. I really liked how it worked but it does require more attention that the good ol 7MM Rem Mag

I am still undecided if the slight added maintenance is worth the slight gain in reduced recoil. I can say if you shoot a big bull in the chest with it at 1103yds he will let you have his horns to mount on your wall.

I am using my custom Leupold scope. 4.5x14 1/3MOA elevation clicks and my reticle

John, i'm going to assume that you don't like muzzle brakes as i've seen a few of your shows and can't remember seeing any on your guns. you seem to prefer less recoil, was wondering what your thoughts were on that?

also, was wondering how you came up with or why you have 1/3 MOA adjustments on your scopes? seems a rather unorthodox number. just wondering what the reasoning was with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.