What choke for Chucker hunting?

If I am going after them intentionally with my pointer Mod/Full. If I run into them while hunting quail IC/Mod and shoot the Mod. On a single choke gun full.

I will take my new 12 gauge out tomorrow for some Chucker hunting. What choke, Full or Modified?
I would take whatever. I'd be happy just to go. If it was just to take the gun for a walk. And watch another majestic bird fly around. I would probably be in awe & forget to shoot. So it wouldn't matter. lol
Edit I don't think I have the stamina anymore for hunting these birds either. I'm assuming you're a iron worker ? I also did this for a while as a youth. One thing about this job it does keep you in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
I will take my new 12 gauge out tomorrow for some Chucker hunting. What choke, Full or Modified?
Another vote for the modified.

1703853761607.png

Go with what you're confident in. I would go full. It's late season so they may be spooky and not hold well. It's usually windy, and while chukars may be quick on the wing, it doesn't take them long to get out there. This was over a flushing lab, which is what we had growing up. A pointer + holding, non spooky chukars, I would open up to a modified. I used to carry an IC for when we hunted quail draws, and switched back to full when we got into chukar areas on the same hunt.

I would take whatever. I'd be happy just to go. If it was just to take the gun for a walk. And watch another majestic bird fly around. I would probably be in awe & forget to shoot. So it wouldn't matter. lol
Edit I don't think I have the stamina anymore for hunting these birds either. I'm assuming you're a iron worker ? I also did this for a while as a youth. One thing about this job it does keep you in pretty good shape.
Yes, retired Ironworker. I do a lot of cardio at the gym.Regardless I'm not a kid anymore either.

It is late in the season right now. Hopefully you have a friend with a dog. Bring all 3 chokes and start with the full if no dog, modified if behind a dog. Don't be afraid to use high brass 6s this time of year! Have fun and enjoy the hike. At least there is not a ton of snow to trudge through this year.

I been using improved modified with my Beretta, which is close to full. Hopefully the birds in your area are plentiful this year. I hunted eastern Oregon this year near Condon and there were more birds than we've seen in the last ten years. Unfortunately most of the birds were spooky and flushing out of range even though it was opening weekend. I'm definitely getting too old for chukar as I was sucking wind worse than ever. It sure is nice to get out and do some walking for upland birds though so enjoy the hunt.

I don't use a dog because I have to take care of them in the off season. Living on a wheat and cattle ranch all my life Iv'e been blessed to be able to hunt chukars for over 60 years. I use the spot and stock method. spot them in the stubble or winter wheat with 15 power bino's then put the sneak on them . My personal choice is my model 12, 28" barrel with full or extra full late in the season and 1 1/4 oz. #5 shot or copper 6's and I won't hunt after the snow is on the ground . then I feed them wheat until the snow starts to leave. When it gets hot in the summer they use the sprinklers on the lawn to cool off, the down side is they crap on the porch, hood of my pickup, and patio. they are a vey intersting bird, during the summer they are kind of dumb like grouse , they look at us through the sliding glass doors. they even get on the roof of my shop like pigeons. Hope all you chukar hunters are having a great year and finding lots of birds.