What choke for Chucker hunting?

We jump shot them, 40-60 yard shots were common, fast loads of 6's in a full choke. They usually flushed between 30-40 yards.

BPS pump put out an improved modified choke, but wounded a lot of birds, so we went with full choke, 1 3/8 oz of 6's at 1300 fps.

that will put the smack down on them for sure . our shots are about the same as yours. I like the copper shot . it doesn't deform on impact like lead. I still have 1 bag of copper 6's left from years ago and I only use them when the birds get wild . at 70 years old I figure that will last me the rest of my life.

I will take my new 12 gauge out tomorrow for some Chucker hunting. What choke, Full or Modified?
Not sure if this was answered but are you talking wild or planted? Big difference. If wild then give them everything you got!

When I was 11 years old my dad and a buddy took me chukar hunting. My dad's buddy was an addict, chasing them over 4 states. He looks at me real serious and says "if you see one on the ground, do you flush it or shoot it?" I knew I was on the spot. I sheepishly said, shoot it, more of a question than a statement. He got a big grin slapped me on the back and said "spoken like a true chukar hunter!" I'll never forget it. After chasing them for a few years I figured out why he said that. You love them and hate them all at the same time. They truly are the devil bird.

The first time you hunt them in the snow you'll realize it. Follow your pointer up the hill as she's pointing them every 50 yards. You'll see their tracks then they'll flush wild, fly all the way back down the hill, THEN if you're like most logical people, who are stupid chukar hunters, you'll head down to where they landed. About half way down you'll see their tracks heading back up the hill! At that point you realize you'll ground swap every one of those red legged little bastards!

spoken like a honest chukar hunter. I like it when I'm out of shells and trying to reload and that last single bird gets up and as he sets his wings he tells you F....... you several times as he disappears out of site
Every single time. If I know the dog has them locked down, I'll pull an extra shell and hold it in my left hand against the forend because I know 2 things. 1. I'll empty my gun and 2. Another chukar will flush after my gun is empty. I've killed a lot of birds with that 4th shot.

If wild birds and now late season use mod minimum or full even ok. I d carry 1 1/4 oz of 6 s.

I was in northern NV area a couple weeks ago and them Dehh be ok birds were skittish and getting up at 50+ yards. A full wouldn't be too much based on what I saw.

spoken like a honest chukar hunter. I like it when I'm out of shells and trying to reload and that last single bird gets up and as he sets his wings he tells you F....... you several times as he disappears out of site
I learned to have 3 shells between my fingers to reload for those ones that would hang up.

I prefer a 20 gauge semi with 3" 1 1/4oz #6's with a modified choke. My Franchi Affinity modified is a bit tighter pattern than other modified chokes but I like the tight pattern for longer shots. Unfortunately the 4 year drought here in CA wiped out most of our upland and rabbits and it is very slowly coming back in some places, none in others. To add to issue is the lead ban, no lead for anything, even ground squirrels. I used to hunt then 2 or 3 days a week but I'm afraid by the time the population returns I will be too old to climb the steep hills.
Let us know how your hunt went.

So how'd your hunt go??? What's your new shotgun???
This was my second time out. I have a post under upland game bird describing my experience. My partner got one, he was upset with his dogs. He said where we hunted must have been heavily hunted before us. Regardless it was great fun. My shotgun is a Beretta A400 Kick-Off Plus, which I bought for reduced recoil. I'm wondering if it's a lie; that shotgun kicks like a mule. I still have my Winchester SX3; I'm going to compare them both with the same ammo. I will say I shot a much higher score in Trap shooting with the Beretta over the SX3