What causes this?

johnnyk

Hello guys,

I was cleaning my Savage 112BVSS, .300WinMag last night and I noticed something in end of the bolt where the big screw is. This is a hex head bolt as opposed to the straight slot of the older Savages. Now I have shot some stiff loads in this rifle before but have never noticied anything at the time of shooting. What say yaw'll?.....

Looks like the inside of the screw head is cracked. Hate to thing about shooting stiff loads now!

Attachments

• IMG_20150815_220032.jpg
    IMG_20150815_220032.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20150815_220059_resized.jpg
    IMG_20150815_220059_resized.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 62
Hello guys,

I was cleaning my Savage 112BVSS, .300WinMag last night and I noticed something in end of the bolt where the big screw is. This is a hex head bolt as opposed to the straight slot of the older Savages. Now I have shot some stiff loads in this rifle before but have never noticied anything at the time of shooting. What say yaw'll?.....

Looks like the inside of the screw head is cracked. Hate to thing about shooting stiff loads now!

It could be flaw in the material used or manufacturing and got weak after time but IIWY, I'd play it safe and replace it (and get a spare ... it's a $4-6 part) before shooting again.

"and not load pressure bearing anyway. Pay it no mind." MikeCR

Was hoping someone would say that. Still would like to know what happened.

"I'd play it safe and replace it (and get a spare ... it's a $4-6 part) before shooting again." FEENIX

Was hoping someone would say that. Still would like to know what happened. Think I'll get me a
tac-t-cool bolt handle while I'm at it......

I let it stay in the stable this morning and just took my other 112BVS in 6.5-284. Pretty good morning. Started at 1000yds, went all the way to 1600yds. Got on paper and shot MOA or almost MOA for all (1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500yds) except 1600. Not sure what happened there but I am very pleased, almost ecstatic, with my results! 1500yds was the best at 10".

Thanks guys for the advise/info, and listening. JohnnyK.

As 257 and Mike said, it's just the burrs leftover from when the hex was broached. You can easily pick them out if you wish.
It's only going to affect purchase when undoing the bolt, the hex key won't fully seat.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts