What causes dents in cases below the shoulder like these

atl5029

I am hoping you guys can shed some light on what causes dents in cases right below the shoulder like these I discovered recently on these PPU 8mm Mauser cases when separating them from the tumbling media. I only realized they were there after I FL resized them, so I don't know if they occurred during loading into the chamber, firing, extraction, or resizing. I have also seen this kind of dent occasionally on 30-06 cases. Any ideas?

Also, it is OK to load these cases as normal or slightly down loaded and just blow the dent out on the next firing, or are these cases done?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170621_002008.jpg
    20170621_002008.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 186
These could be from too much lube when you resized them. I have also seen these type dents in cases that were loaded too light.

I've seen it too when cases were loaded too light. The neck does not seal the chamber fast enough or completely and some of the gas flows around the neck and dimples the case. I wouldn't try to download them any more than you have.

Interesting. I don't think too much lube was a problem cause I was using a lube pad. These cases may have been the couple I loaded near minimum load as I was working up a load. I'll try to cognizant of that during future load development and resizing.

So am I good to just blow out the dent with the next firing and proceed as normal?

Check inside your dies. The dents will be gone after firing again.

I can say from experiencing the exact same thing that those are from too much lube. Clean the die out and use just a little less. As others said also, they will shoot out no problem.

I had this happen years ago. It was definitely not from low pressure loads. My thinking is it was because the necks did not seal in the chamber because they needed to be annealed.

Steve

Unless I read this really wrong the op was getting the dents after firing the round not from resizing.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.