What cartridge did people complain about before the Creedmoor?

Well you do have to consider that old Jack no doubt enjoyed lots of cocktails around safari campfires compliments of Winchester.
And also no doubt that after a few of them he would readily admit that the 280 was the better cartridge. lol
Couldn't agree more in regards to the .280, that said, the cartridges we (I) love to hate are the ones we (I) can find little fault with and simply are outstanding designs and reliable performers i.e. 308 Win, 6.5 CM

The internal combustion engine Vs the horse and carriage… my god man, why would you ever sit behind an object that is constantly exploding???
Fly rod vs spinning rods
Recurve Vs compound bow
Vertical bows vs crossbows (this was fun seeing the recurve and compound guys unite against a common enemy archer)
gas vs electric
Tradition is the enemy of progress and when marketing or governments make them out to be miracle cures, you see a revolt by the traditionalists or the old guard.
But to answer your question, the 9mm took a ton of heat after the FBI shootout and it displacing the 45ACP for the military. Also, even the 223 got static as too small for a battle rifle from the 30 cal crowd from earlier days.

Many years ago I stopped at a small breakfast nook near Wells, NY on way to deer camp. Sat down at counter, ordered and just happened to hear strong "debate" going on next to old Franklin wood stove in middle of floor. Table of geezers drinking coffee next to it having one heck of P contest over:

Tractor versus Draft Horse.... yep even down to tractor models and draft horse types. They saw me turned around in chair and asked me which horse. So I told them Belgium hands down! Big, but not too big, strong, reliable, easy to handle, good disposition and breed lines haven't been diluted. I thought they wouldn't stop laughing! They asked me the question to make fun of me and got answer to their debate. They added chair and didn't ask but told me to sit down with them. What was hilarious was the "coffee" was being spiked with bourbon! Stopped for quick bite and was lucky to get out in 2 hours! It was truly a fun memorable experience! Once they found out I was a blacksmith it really got funny.

Oh yeah, the .35 Rem was "king".

Honestly, don't know

If I had to guess, 243 Winchester. All the attributes of the 6.5 Creedmoor in its day, low recoil, great velocity, accurate, good caliber for kids or recoil sensitive shooters. With a soft pointed bullet, killed stuff dead at reasonable ranges. Too bad Winchester hamstrung it with the slow twists. Imagine what it would have been with an 8 twist or even 9 twist barrels and 68ish years of technology advancements along the way.

I know my uncle had a 59 Model 70 in 243 and it killed everything he pointed it at my entire life, elk, deer, antelope, gophers.

None was like the creed.

IME 308 was teased/though poor of as a wannabe sniper round that never measured up to the 3006 but claimed to.

243 was teased as a women's cartridge or for men that couldn't handle recoil.

6.5 creed combined both of these, while being introduced as people began to use the internet in forum style to talk about things. So this naturally meant people talked in a way someone never would have done to your face.

None was like the creed.

IME 308 was teased/though poor of as a wannabe sniper round that never measured up to the 3006 but claimed to.

243 was teased as a women's cartridge or for men that couldn't handle recoil.

6.5 creed combined both of these, while being introduced as people began to use the internet in forum style to talk about things. So this naturally meant people talked in a way someone never would have done to your face.

Funny thing is I enjoy shooting those 3 and .22's more than the big magnums anymore.
There is always something fun about shooting a country mile, but man 22's and a brick of ammo is a blast on the cheap. My uncle had my nephews trying to sink old duck decoys with 22's, it probably took them 50 rounds before that old flambeau drake went under. Now I'm sure the 22WMR would have done it in one round, but what's the fun in that???

The 7 rem mag was always a hot topic growing up. The nonsense I heard about are still laughable to this day. It pretty much bounced off elk, but it was way to much on deer and basically "blew them to pieces".

It was so fast it would go thru animals without expanding (that one even at 10 years old raised my eyebrows from looking at pictures of mushroomed bullets at different ranges in adds in outdoor life, seemed like velocity increased expansion) while at the same time bouncing off other critters.

So it bounced off some, went thru others to quickly, either didn't expand or over expanded and had so much recoil it made grown men cry. It sometimes would do all these things in the same sentence!