What brand of porting for 454 Casull

Jayhawk

Was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions for porting a super redhawk in 9.5" barrel ? This gun shoots really nice with 45 lc ammo but flat out hurts my hand when shooting Hornady 300grain bullets....you definately know you just shot something:).

Magna port worked fine for mine I got the twin port they also offer quad port If I remember right it was about 85.00 in 2002.
robster

Thanks Robster.... I am assuming the porting has made the felt recoil less and the muzzle blast more?

The blast is a little more but does not seem bad when shooting at deer.Felt recoil was reduced quite a bit and made the blast worth it.
robster

I pickt up this 7½"SRH already mag-na-ported so I cant say how much it helped? What seams to work best in the beast is to download it to mid to low book, the accuracy is better and not one of the critters (whitetail buck,porkupine, a stripped squirrel, finishing off a goat and numerous prairie dogs) that have taken with it knew the difference :D I definatly lost a little more hearing when I finished off the antelope,the downward angle made me wish I had put in earplugs!!!
Casual%20017.jpg

The load I used for the buck where just over 45lc max but blew him right off his feet!
cjg.jpg

Fullhouse loads are cool to hand to your friends but??????

I had the quad port done on my 454 SRH but wasn't very impressed with the recoil reduction. While the muzzle climb is reduced the recoil was still not acceptable. I don't think you can compare "ports" with "brakes". Brakes make a BIG difference in felt recoil.

Just my observation.

Yes I do agree a break is better for recoil But most pistols are a little harder to put a break on. If you dont want tp add extra length to your pistol then porting is the way to go, but if you have a single shot like a T/C buy all means use a break. My Contender in 45-70 has a break and it does help with my heavy loads.
The great part about reloading is you can tailer any load for any rifle/pistol you want. In my 454's I normaly shoot heavy 45 Colt loads in it. When I use it for hunting I switch to the heavy 454 loads.

All 3 of my Freedom arms are Magna ported. 2 are 454'2 and the 3'rd is in 50AE. I plan on having a 500 Wyoming Express cylinder made when a little more cash is avail.

I don't find the recoil from my 7.5" barrel Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull that bad even with the factory Winchester 300 grain FPs.

It's not a plinking gun by any means but I can pop off 10 or so full power rounds at the range with no problem.

A friend ported his Freedom Arms .454 and regretted it after. He said porting helped the recoil but now his eardrums are only 1/4" apart after he shoots the bloody thing from the concussion and noise.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.